TBI conversion ecm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elcotrk

Apprentice
Oct 8, 2021
To You guy’s that converted
When converting to TBI, what happens with the CC carb ECM?
Does it get eliminated removed ?
TBI has its own ecm.
How’s it work ?
Considering want to, haven’t got it though out. Right now it seems unsolved.
Installation I can handle
Thx

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
My take is the CCC-to-TBI swap would be a pain in the butt and require additional sensors and wiring. The ECMs are not compatible since the TBI is a bit more sophisticated than the ones connected to the Q-jet. If you're intent on going this route, I concur with the recommendation to install a Holley Sniper with the ability to tune itself.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Short answer is the CCC computer comes out, along with it's engine side wiring harness, distributor, and CCC carb.

A junkyard TBI harness (complete with every sensor and relay that attached to that harness), computer, throttle body, and distributor out of a Silverado or full size van with the same engine as your car would go in (e.g. 305, 350, 4.3L). The Silverado would have the underhood cable lengths and respective positioning of parts almost perfect for a G-Body transplant.

You would put the TBI computer in the slot where the CCC computer was, hook the new harness to the under dash wiring for power and check engine light, add an electric fuel pump that is capable of TBI pressures and you should have a running vehicle.

Reactions: 2 users

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
Getting an EFI fuel tank with baffle would be ideal as well, also adding a fuel filter to the feed line.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Thx
What happens to the CCCarb ECM after you install TBI setup with a ECM?
As mentioned above, it will come out. The car only needs one computer.

The reason I mentioned the newer stuff, are you gonna go through all that work to install something that's 35+ years old..or modern tech that is tunable and runs MUCH better.

elcotrk

Apprentice
Oct 8, 2021
Short answer is the CCC computer comes out, along with it's engine side wiring harness, distributor, and CCC carb.

A junkyard TBI harness (complete with every sensor and relay that attached to that harness), computer, throttle body, and distributor out of a Silverado or full size van with the same engine as your car would go in (e.g. 305, 350, 4.3L). The Silverado would have the underhood cable lengths and respective positioning of parts almost perfect for a G-Body transplant.

You would put the TBI computer in the slot where the CCC computer was, hook the new harness to the under dash wiring for power and check engine light, add an electric fuel pump that is capable of TBI pressures and you should have a running vehicle.
That’s good information using Silverado wiring’s harness an setup might be EZ’er than the Sniper. I’d like to hear from those that have done it. Before I consider doing it myself. Right,,, the wiring is my confusion to make it work.if it didn’t have the CC Carb. A new aftermarket would be ez
Thx for your reply

stew86MCSS396

Greasemonkey
Aug 1, 2022
(808)
Just wanted to comment...back in the day circa ~2000 subscribed to the diy-efi mailing list, there were a few people that have taken the CCC harness converted the ECM end with pigtails, repinned/repurposed unused wires and were able to run a TBI. I think TBI conversion would be no harder than a TPI conversion in fact it would be easier since IAC, TPS and injectors are all in the throttle body. The rest of the sensors are already there on the CCC and can be repurposed. I actually wanted to try this with a mechanical fuel pump that was capable of putting out 18 psi but didn't pull the trigger on the pump due to seller not willing to ship to my location. Attached might even make it plug and play...well with some repinning.

Attachments

• HAM.png
    HAM.png
    103.4 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
On a stock motor, the GM TBI will work fine. If you have anything much bigger than a stock cam, it won't like it, especially one with a tight LSA. The Sniper has issues and I wouldn't run one for the cost involved. You only need 15 psi fuel pressure with a factory TBI and can get away with a little less and still run Ok. The aftermarket TBI need much higher fuel pressure. Plus an old GM TBI setup from a junkyard should be cheap to buy. It is just time consuming to install. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor