TBI to CARBURETOR change

Status
Not open for further replies.

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Finally the carburetor to arrive today. Originally ordered July some time.

So next week I'll start the TBI to Carburetor conversion.

Will try to do everything by the numbers as much as possible and take good photos through out.

Hopefully can show how to make a proper wire loom and fuel system, and then setup and final tune.

Everything getting changed. Fuel system, new wire loom, new HEI etc...

Base vehicle is 91 Caprice, 305 Roller Cam TBI V8, 700R4 (3 Speed +1 Overdrive) Auto Transmission.

Not sure of current rear gears. But probably will change to 3.73 or 3.55 Posi.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220901-114157.png
    Screenshot_20220901-114157.png
    352.3 KB · Views: 68

stew86MCSS396

Greasemonkey
Aug 1, 2022
(808)
Assuming you're swapping the TBI intake for ??? Not sure what needs to be done but seem to have read that there's an issue with the distributor hole on these b-bodies. I'm sure it's as simple as enlarging it to the same size as the TBI one. If you don't then there may be issues installing the distributor. 🤷‍♂️

Might benefit from a cam change instead of running that puny peanut cam, too.

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
Why are you going from the TBI to a carb and not just upgrading the fuel injection system? I have the original TBI on my 4.3 Monte Carlo. It has been fully reliable. 130k and I do not think it has needed repair yet.

Not critising, just wondering what you plan to gain using the carb verses fuel injection. I have seen more people going from carbs to EFI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor