MONTE CARLO TBI V6 Sender in Carb V8 Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bludacious

Apprentice
Jan 2, 2018
Nothing too complicated, but I have a carbed 305 with a stock replacement gas tank and I'm looking to go to TBI. I don't trust inline pumps at all and I want to use a factory style in-tank sender. Will a TBI V6 sending unit fit properly into the hole in the v8 tank? Looking on RockAuto the TBI applications list a different part number but the sender opening looks about the same.

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
The difference in the tanks is the efi tank is baffled. The carbed tank is not. You can use yours but you will most likely run into fuel sloshing and starvation issues with probably anything less than a half tank.

Reactions: 1 user

Bludacious

Apprentice
Jan 2, 2018
So if I am understanding this correctly, the sender opening on the tanks is the same, but the TBI version just had extra baffling :wtf:? If that's the only difference, why they wouldn't just use the baffled tank for both is one of those GM design choices that will always mystify me I guess...

So would I use that hydramat with the in-tank sender, or would I have to make a custom pickup tube and get an outside pump?

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
The senders are physically the same as far as length, mount hole, locking tabs, etc. They make a Hydramat for Walbro style pumps.
I would run a low pressure, TBI pump, though, so you don't run into a lack of return capacity on a carb.

Reactions: 1 user

1320John$$$

G-Body Guru
Sep 18, 2019
Pennsylvania
I am running the factory EFI pump in my 85 Monte Carlo that was originally a 4.3 L V6 TBI all you need is a EFI regulator and a braided line from the return side of the regulator to the factory return line from the original EFI set up and then plum your carburetor however you wish I can send you pictures when I get home i’ve been running it this way for 13 years now

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor