Tell me about this Quadrajet

2drx4

Greasemonkey
May 28, 2022
The middle of BC, Canada
I will full on say I am not a carb guy.

But I picked this up for $15~. I intended it for my plow truck actually, because it's a SBC 350 on propane, and propane is annoying for plowing. But I also figure if anything goes tragically wrong with the CCC on my Cutlass it might be helpful to have it.

20220610_115242.jpg

All they said/knew was it was off an old squarebody truck. Is there really any difference between them from applications? It has an electric choke, which is convenient for anything really.

Sticker

20220610_115257.jpg

They've hacked it around here. I assume this is so they could adjust primary jetting?
20220610_115306.jpg
20220610_115308.jpg
20220610_115310.jpg

Any use or did I just waste $15? If I can make my plow truck run okay with it then it's a win, because the plow truck is on deferred maintenance.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Cutlass most likely has a 17086008 number carburetor on it for a CCC system.

Driver side on a flat spot on the secondaries on the main body there are numbers stamped.

Your carb there is a NON-CCC carburetor, likely number 17085291 off a 1985 Chevy 350 truck, manual transmission and A/C. It will physically bolt on to your cutlass, but the linkage, fuel inlet tube, and maybe other settings would suck. AND you couldn't run it from the computer. So there's that.

If you need a rebuild kit for it, ACDelco p/n 17076039, or aftermarket equivalent, is what you want. $19.99 or best offer plus tax on ebay.

• Useful
Reactions: 4 users

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
The vacuum fitting on the rear belongs with your compressed air tools.

The fuel line inlet is correct for a Chevy motor but as said earlier, will not work with a standard Olds or Pontiac fuel line.

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 5 users

2drx4

Greasemonkey
May 28, 2022
The middle of BC, Canada
The vacuum fitting on the rear belongs with your compressed air tools.
I saw that. I have proper hose barbs if I do use it.

Actually, I'll be stealing the fitting either way. Always need more air line fittings. :rofl:

• Haha
  • Creative
Reactions: 3 users

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
The hacking at the front is not the primary jetting . Those are the idle mixture screws. Originally they would have been covered with hardened steel plugs to prevent tampering or adjustment. Carving up the base plate like a cave man is how most people get the anti tamper plugs out. The fact that yours is done likely indicates that that carb has been apart at least once in its lifetime. 15 bucks for a complete q jet is a good deal, I would buy them all day long for that. You can never have to many of them.

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

2drx4

Greasemonkey
May 28, 2022
The middle of BC, Canada
Cutlass most likely has a 17086008 number carburetor on it for a CCC system.

Driver side on a flat spot on the secondaries on the main body there are numbers stamped.

Your carb there is a NON-CCC carburetor, likely number 17085291 off a 1985 Chevy 350 truck, manual transmission and A/C. It will physically bolt on to your cutlass, but the linkage, fuel inlet tube, and maybe other settings would suck. AND you couldn't run it from the computer. So there's that.

If you need a rebuild kit for it, ACDelco p/n 17076039, or aftermarket equivalent, is what you want. $19.99 or best offer plus tax on ebay.

You are correct on the part number.

If I was to use it on the Cutlass it would only be if the CCC suffered some sort of failure that was not recoverable.

2drx4

Greasemonkey
May 28, 2022
The middle of BC, Canada
The hacking at the front is not the primary jetting . Those are the idle mixture screws. Originally they would have been covered with hardened steel plugs to prevent tampering or adjustment. Carving up the base plate like a cave man is how most people get the anti tamper plugs out. The fact that yours is done likely indicates that that carb has been apart at least once in its lifetime. 15 bucks for a complete q jet is a good deal, I would buy them all day long for that. You can never have to many of them.
Alright, thanks. It came with a bunch of other junk, including a rebuild kit for an Edelbrock carb of some sort, and about 18 used rotors from a HEI distributor, so I'm guessing it was messed with lots before being swapped out.

I'll crack it open before I use it, if I decide to.

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Two things:
1) Anti tamper to me means "tamper with it"
2) I'm not familiar with the term "CCC". Can someone please explain?

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor