temp and such (kinda long)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
okay so my temp guage never worker when i got my car from the previous owner. So after many hours and a few flash light batterys I got it hooked how i think it should be. I'm running into problems now though. My engine overheated one night so i checked for air lock (recently changed heater hose) there was no air lock. Then i realized my radiator cap was shot. got a new one but the radiator hoses expnded. I ended up rewiring and positioning my dual electric fans for maximum cooling. Then i flushed the radiator twice. finally got the water to come out clear after the second flush. ran the car and everything seemed to be running very well. I added anti-freeze before dark ( a must in this area) and then ran it around town pretty hard at first then more just joy riding. The guage still points almost all the way to overheating. I recently changed to a 160 thermostat and right when it opens my guage almost maxes out. Do I have a wiring problem or did autozone just give me a crappy coolant sensor? also the one wire for the sensor is grounded to the alt. bracket (it seemed to be the right place) thanks in advance for all your help!

betsy84

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2005
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I donno, try adding more coolant, make sure your rad cap is the correct one, otherwise you put too much/not enough pressure to the system, make sure the rad is free of any cardboard or contraptions that people may have used for it to warm up quicker in the winter, make sure the rad is the correct size, and make sure you wired your electric fans properly (some are push/pull- you may have it on push when it should pull etc).

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I would let the car idle with the rad cap off and check the actual temp in the rad with a either get a thermometer that you can check the actual temp in the rad or get another gage and temp wire it to make sure your gage isn't defective....and mke sure your mixture is no more than 50% antifreeze...too much antifreeze deminishes the cooling effect of water....

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
okay it is definatly a wiring problem. I turn on my heater and the guage drops 20 degress instantly then raises when off. I know there is a vacum valve on most g bodies but i have just two heater lines. I still can;t exactly figure it out but i'm going to use the warm up then thermometer thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor