Temp Gauge & Courtesy Lights Not Working, Related…?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

G_RIDE_81

Apprentice
Oct 30, 2019
Hope I'm writing this into the correct post category. So, my 1981 Monte Carlo was on hiatus for about a year before I started a mini restoration this past July. The temperature gauge was working fine before the hiatus. After the recent rebuilt 350 swap, I realized the gauge is no longer working. The sensor is new as of the engine swap. The gauge stays at the low/100 degree mark. I grounded the green wire leading to the sensor and the gauge needle went past the max hot mark. According to my research that means the wiring/gauge are not bad.

I also noted recently that my courtesy lights are no longer working. Pulled the bulbs and they look fine. Checked the fuse box thinking this may be the source but no fuse is popped. However, the instrument panel fuse (5 amp) is not receiving power. Is this supposed to be an always-hot or ignition-hot fuse? Other than the temp gauge not reading, everything in the gauge cluster is working just fine. Could these issues be related? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

83StreetMachine

Master Mechanic
Dec 16, 2011
Central NJ
The temp sensor could be shot. They are cheap and easy to replace.

As far as your dome lights, are you sure you are looking in the correct place in the fuse panel?

Look for the one labeled courtesy/clock. If memory serves it should be a 20 amp fuse, not 5

G_RIDE_81

Apprentice
Oct 30, 2019
As far as your dome lights, are you sure you are looking in the correct place in the fuse panel?

Look for the one labeled courtesy/clock. If memory serves it should be a 20 amp fuse, not 5
Thanks for responding. I may have mis-discribed the lights: courtesy lights under the dash by each of the kick panels.

And I'm still curious why that "instruments" fuse isn't powered.

fly_25

Greasemonkey
Oct 20, 2020
Did you make any progress with the temp gauge? Mine does not work as well and would like to know what temp sensor you got if you made it work.

G_RIDE_81

Apprentice
Oct 30, 2019
Did you make any progress with the temp gauge? Mine does not work as well and would like to know what temp sensor you got if you made it wor

Did you make any progress with the temp gauge? Mine does not work as well and would like to know what temp sensor you got if you made it work.
No, I haven't figured it out. Been taking car of other repairs.

I still have the boxes to the sensors somewhere. I will dig them up and provide part numbers later today.

Mac442

Master Mechanic
Apr 25, 2020
Ocean County, NJ
Does your temp gauge move at all? Mine was barely reaching 140, and it was a combination of my thermostat being stuck open. the cold weather, and my massive aluminum radiator.

G_RIDE_81

Apprentice
Oct 30, 2019
TS6641 is original 305ci sensor. TS43T is sensor on JEGS 350 rebuild crate.

All: I've seen pictures of thin sensors with thread adapters for the larger openings. Anyone out there happen to know the right combo of part numbers? Again, using stock gage and the new 350 is a stock rebuild.

Attachments

• 20201210_165114.jpg
    20201210_165114.jpg
    967.5 KB · Views: 125
  • 20201210_165051.jpg
    20201210_165051.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 116
  • 20201210_165020.jpg
    20201210_165020.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 115

G_RIDE_81

Apprentice
Oct 30, 2019
Does your temp gauge move at all? Mine was barely reaching 140, and it was a combination of my thermostat being stuck open. the cold weather, and my massive aluminum radiator.
Currently, no movement at all. But, as mentioned, when I grounded the green wire it swept beyond top temp to about the 3pm position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor