Temp gauge no worky. 80 Regal

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
Guys, I can't get my stock temp gauge to work in my 1980 Regal. The green wire is plugged into the sensor on the engine. When I turn key on, the gauge needle goes to 100. It never moves off it. I swapped out the gauge and it is doing exactly the same. I pulled the gauge back out of cluster and the right side spade is 12 volts on my power probe. The other two are not reading voltage. I'm assuming those would be ohms??? Any way to test my coolant temp sender? I have an aftermarket mechanical temp gauge and when engine gets to operating temp, the factory gauge reads 100. Help

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Knowing there are two 3/8" NPT gauge senders-one with the button & one with a blade that also looks like the warning light switch-do you have right one? I'm guessing/trying to remember that you have the '80 & later heads on the engine. But if it got '79 & older with 1/2" NPT senders, there is only one each for gauge & light, it might be a bad sender.

Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Bad/wrong sender is my guess. You can test the resistance it has at a given temp.
But for the price of a temp gun (if you dont already have one) and a meter you could buy 2 or 3 sending units.

NCTyphoonKid

G-Body Guru
Mar 17, 2019
I had this issue with my 81 I just put the engine back in turned out I ordered the 84+ sender on accident I went back and ordered the older style and now it works perfect

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
this should help you to test the sender

ctsmatchartpp3.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor