GRAND PRIX Temp Gauge Quit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
86 305 4bbl with all emissions.
Noticed the temp gauge has stopped working.
Nothing was done in the engine compartment nor wiring prior to this happening. Drove somewhere, worked on the way. Drove home, it never moved.
All other gauges working properly.

Seeing nothing out of the ordinary as far as wiring goes, my initial guess was the temperature sender, and they're only a few bucks.. no big deal, worth a shot..

But, I am seeing a Single Wire one, and a Dual Wire one.. I only know of the one on the thermostat housing, and mine has two wires.

There isn't a second Sender just for the gauge somewhere else, is there?

Can't seem to locate a good wiring diagram.. The link for the Malibu one is great, but I don't think its the same for me in this situation.

Thanks in advance!

-Gonz

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
to see if it is the gauge or sender if you ground the wire the gauge will go to hot

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
to see if it is the gauge or sender if you ground the wire the gauge will go to hot

Got two... one black and one that looked yellow, altho I didnt pull the tape/conduit off completely.. ground the black one or the yellow (or, colored) one? Yellow/Colored one, I assume since Black is typically already ground.

Thanks!

-Gonz

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
you can test the sender with an ohm meter or with a 2 wire I would jump it and turn the power on

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
Will do! Thanks!

-Gonz

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Those two wires are going to the computers temp switch. The gauge one is in the drivers side head with a single green wire. I'll be between #1 & #3 exhaust ports.

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
Those two wires are going to the computers temp switch. The gauge one is in the drivers side head with a single green wire. I'll be between #1 & #3 exhaust ports.

AAHHH!!! So there IS two... Ok, thanks a bunch, Ill check that!

-Gonz

Reactions: 1 users

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!!

The connector for the Single Green wire between 1 and 3 was corroded as hell.. pulled it off, took my pocket knife and scraped some of the corrosion off put it back on, temp gauge is alive again!

Ill get that cleaned up better when its a little warmer than 20 out, altho the engine being warm did help a bit :D

You guys are the best!

-Gonz

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Listen to pagrunt He smart!

hes-so-smart-jenny.jpg

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor