Temp gauge testing confirmation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
My temp gauge hasn't worked since they put the headers/duals on.

Testing this, I can say the following:

Key turned to the on position, the needle does move.
Starting the engine, the needle pegs max.
Grounding the wire going to the sending unit produces a needle pegged to the max.

This means its the sending unit, yes?

I have the one with the Round T-Top, not the blade. Looking for one, all the local joints have is the Blade Type. Gonna have to order this one?

Thanks!

-Gonz

vandyman

Apprentice
Jul 16, 2017
If there is Teflon tape or sealer on the threads of the sending unit. It will not be grounded properly and give you false readings.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
If there is Teflon tape or sealer on the threads of the sending unit. It will not be grounded properly and give you false readings.

The ones I'm seeing (albeit Blade-Type and not the Round Topped T-Post Type) already have this orange-ish coating on the threads.

-Gonz

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The ones I'm seeing (albeit Blade-Type and not the Round Topped T-Post Type) already have this orange-ish coating on the threads.

-Gonz

the teplon tape can interfere with the sender not being grounded so you would have no reading, with the reading you have I would say the sender has a short....

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
So if I was to buy a new one, I would have to scrape all that sh*t off?

-Gonz

Attachments

• tempsender.png
    tempsender.png
    332.4 KB · Views: 184

vandyman

Apprentice
Jul 16, 2017
So if I was to buy a new one, I would have to scrape all that **** off?

-Gonz
As long as part of it grounds it should work as is.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
So if I was to buy a new one, I would have to scrape all that sh*t off?

-Gonz

no, you will be good to go with the "sh*t" left on it since it will still be grounded. The problem that arises is from people covering all the threads with a couple of layers of teflon tape

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
Ok, I thought so.. Just kinda took me by surprise. I was more looking for my testing methodology to be confirmed that it is the sender before I just go replacing sh*t all willy nilly..

Thanks

-Gonz

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the temperature guage is just an ohm reader so you could check the sender with a multimeter

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
the temperature guage is just an ohm reader so you could check the sender with a multimeter

Damn... talk about a light bulb getting lit. I never realized. Thanks!

-Gonz

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor