Temp gauge testing confirmation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
Replaced the sender, and it started working again.

However, instead of reading the "normal" 190 or so, it reads 240... about 50 deg high.

I know its working because you can watch it raise in temp, then watch the temps drop significantly when the thermostat opens.

This drop in temp used to happen at around 200 (Guessing 185 Therm in it). Now this happens at 240.

I'm thinking the sender is bad.. But at least its reading Something, albeit 50 degrees high.

Think Ill go grab another.

-Gonz

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
What model is your car, which engine/cluster? These details can make a huge difference in determining the cause of your issue. And teflon tape does not affect the operation of the sensor/gauge.

"Classic Instruments temperature and oil pressure senders require a ground which is made through the threads to the engine. Using a lot of sealer or Teflon tape on the threads of the sender will cause a bad or no ground connection. This will make the gauge read lower or not at all. "

Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Replaced the sender, and it started working again.

However, instead of reading the "normal" 190 or so, it reads 240... about 50 deg high.

I know its working because you can watch it raise in temp, then watch the temps drop significantly when the thermostat opens.

This drop in temp used to happen at around 200 (Guessing 185 Therm in it). Now this happens at 240.

I'm thinking the sender is bad.. But at least its reading Something, albeit 50 degrees high.

Think Ill go grab another.

-Gonz

test it with your multimeter set on OHMs..

68495d1081141731-vader-ee-people-please-ctsmat.gif

Reactions: 1 user

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
Awesome chart. Will do after work, unless I fall asleep :)

-Gonz

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
Can't find my ohm meter. I blame the wife.

I did, however, have a Laser/Infrared temp gun.

Sensor temp 194. Gauge showing 235.

So, at least I know its not overheating.. Now where did she put that multimeter...

-Gonz

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Can't find my ohm meter. I blame the wife.

I did, however, have a Laser/Infrared temp gun.

Sensor temp 194. Gauge showing 235.

So, at least I know its not overheating.. Now where did she put that multimeter...

-Gonz

it's cheaper to replace the multi meter than the wife, don't ask me how I know this.....:mad:

• Haha

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
"Classic Instruments temperature and oil pressure senders require a ground which is made through the threads to the engine. Using a lot of sealer or Teflon tape on the threads of the sender will cause a bad or no ground connection. This will make the gauge read lower or not at all. "
I've used teflon tape for years on temp senders and never had an issue. The tips of the threads cut right through the tape providing ground to the sender.

I suppose if you screwed a sender in finger right you would not have an adequate ground......but that would be the least of your worries because you would have coolant leaking everywhere.

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
The senders come with either the orange crap or teflon tape on them already.

I assumed if that was an issue, they wouldn't do that.

-Gonz

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I've used teflon tape for years on temp senders and never had an issue. The tips of the threads cut right through the tape providing ground to the sender.

I suppose if you screwed a sender in finger right you would not have an adequate ground......but that would be the least of your worries because you would have coolant leaking everywhere.

Senders have a pipe thread so no teflon tape is required. Do you use teflon tape on your brake fittings as well?

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
Senders have a pipe thread so no teflon tape is required. Do you use teflon tape on your brake fittings as well?
Of course not.

My point was that the sender threads will cut through the tape providing a ground for the sender........if you don't believe me, try it yourself.......done it countless times over the years....temp gauge always worked just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor