Temp light help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
I would want it to turn on sooner than that but that is a personal preference and not based on any engineering.
I agree with this however made my decision based on the 180* tstat i am running. The 3053190 temp switch is supposed to be 200 on 185 off but those number seem to vary depending on where you look. Seemed to be the coldest switch i could find at the time that utilized factory lt1 single wire connector. That being said (glad i wrote this down) that switch should have kicked on well before 220 … so not sure what is going on there i guess.

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
I agree with this however made my decision based on the 180* tstat i am running. The 3053190 temp switch is supposed to be 200 on 185 off but those number seem to vary depending on where you look. Seemed to be the coldest switch i could find at the time that utilized factory lt1 single wire connector. That being said (glad i wrote this down) that switch should have kicked on well before 220 … so not sure what is going on there i guess.
Also ran temp wire direct to ground and key on to see if i had power at #3 pin (temp light) before i put cluster back in. It did not. Am i missing something here?

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
You will not have power on that green wire. It is a ground the +12V comes from that 39 circuit and when the temperature is high enough it turns on the switch grounding the green wire and completing the circuit.

Reactions: 1 user

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
You will not have power on that green wire. It is a ground the +12V comes from that 39 circuit and when the temperature is high enough it turns on the switch grounding the green wire and completing the circuit.
Got it TY

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
You need to pull the temp switch for the fan and put it in a pan of heated water with a thermometer and use an ohm meter to see what temperature it really turns on at. If it does switch on at 200 degrees you likely have an air bubble where the sensor is.

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
You need to pull the temp switch for the fan and put it in a pan of heated water with a thermometer and use an ohm meter to see what temperature it really turns on at. If it does switch on at 200 degrees you likely have an air bubble where the sensor is.
Thanks ELCAM. I ran the wire straight to ground and the fans did indeed turn on. I ran the PN of the switch and came up with several "alternatives" all seem to turn on/off at different temps, mostly high, like 230s. I left the switch in as I am now pretty sure its one of these higher temp switches. Does anyone know of a switch that is 200 on 185 off

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Just a small update. I went with a 210 on - 190 off from Be Cool. And a 185 t-stat. The wiring for temp light as suggested by ELCAM was correct. The issue was the bulb behind the cluster, along with several others which had lost contact. After some fiddling everything now works as it should. Thanks everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor