Temp Sensor/Oil Pressure Sensor for Engine Swap - OEM Gauges

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGBody87

Greasemonkey
Jan 7, 2018
Good evening,

I have a 454 BBC in the 1987 Monte SS. I'm attempting to get the gauges working on the dash, but someone hacked the harness and swapped everything to manual gauges before I purchased the car. I'm starting the process of chasing the leads and getting the oil pressure and temp sensor to work again but I wanted to know if anyone has installed a factory style or factory temp and oil sensor in a big block and had it successfully with their gauges. Thank you! Part numbers and links are much appreciated!

Ryan

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
The senders wont know nor care what engine they're in. But still a good idea to at least have a mechanical oil pressure gauge. For that you can tee off the port at the back to run the switch and a gauge.

Reactions: 1 users

RGBody87

Greasemonkey
Jan 7, 2018
The senders wont know nor care what engine they're in. But still a good idea to at least have a mechanical oil pressure gauge. For that you can tee off the port at the back to run the switch and a gauge.

What I was worried about was the voltage and resistance that could come into play with working with the OEM gauges. For example, my 454 puts out over 60LBS of oil pressure on a cold start at idle, then drops down. My Factory gauge only goes up to 60 lbs to start off. I want to be able to read accurately because I am going to remove the old mechanical versions that I can't stand hanging off the dash board. Thanks!

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
The senders are more based on the gauges than the engine. As MrSony said the won't know or care. Only note would be with the temp sender is the '81 & newer have a smaller NPT size, regardless a sender from an '78 up listing will do. As for the oil gauge that may be tricky to find an 80 psi stock/repop unit But I'd be more worried about the operating temp psi instead of the start up so a 60 psi should be OK.

RGBody87

Greasemonkey
Jan 7, 2018
The senders are more based on the gauges than the engine. As MrSony said the won't know or care. Only note would be with the temp sender is the '81 & newer have a smaller NPT size, regardless a sender from an '78 up listing will do. As for the oil gauge that may be tricky to find an 80 psi stock/repop unit But I'd be more worried about the operating temp psi instead of the start up so a 60 psi should be OK.

Thank you!
I was looking on Rock Auto last night but I didn't find any Temp Sending Units, just the pigtail for the harness, which I will have to purchase again since they were all cut out of the harness. Should I get one off a 90's suburban with a big block since that's pretty much what my engine is?

Ryan

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
For factory gauge cars they have both the gauge & light. The CHOKE light is actually the oil light as GM engineered the electric choke circuit with the oil pressure light circuit for both gauge & non gauge cars. The oil gauge switch will be the same for all years, the warning light switch will have to be the two prong type IF you are going to use an electric choke carb. If not you can get away with a single prong one if you want to retain the warning light feature but you'll need to change over to a single wire pigtail. The two prong has a three wire pigtail that has one wire for the light, one for the choke itself, one to the choke circuit fuse in the fuse block. Also since I forgot, the temp switch will have one prong using a green wire.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor