Temp sensor

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Broshous, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Broshous

Broshous Not-quite-so-new-guy

have 87 elcamino,removed every wire and device that GM thought was so important,,,,I have got every thing to work (with out ecm and 40 wires ) except the temp gauge....It did work before I started removing process,,,What wire color????? Receives the signal from the sender??? I have tried a new sender,,,it sends ohms signal,,,ok,,,I have tried the sensor by the #1 spark plug,,,it also sends an ohms reading,,,,so,,I am ready to receive the ohms signal at the gauge with no luck.....can't communicate with the gauge....any I deals,,,,norm

2. pagrunt

pagrunt Royal Smart Person

Should be a single green wire using the older style "GM 56" female blade connector, it'll be the sensor/switch in the drivers side head. That wire will be in the actual engine harness, follow it to ensure it's okay up to the firewall bulkhead. The computer used the one on the intake using two wires.

3. airboatgreg

airboatgreg G-Body Guru

Coolant sensor for ecm and gauge not related. Take a test light and hook up to green wire for temp gauge. Could be on right head between rear 2 plugs or left head between front 2 sparkplugs. Ground other end of test light, turn key on and see what gauge does. If it pegs either way, bad sender. If nothing happens then put other end of test light to positive 12v. Turn key on and look at temp gauge. If nothing happen either way then you will have to go to gauge cluster and do same at cluster to determine if you cut the wrong darn wire or the gauge died

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Broshous

Thanks for your help,,,,I go forward......

5. Broshous

I thank you,will proceed accordingly,,,,