Temp sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broshous

n00b
Feb 7, 2018
have 87 elcamino,removed every wire and device that GM thought was so important,,,,I have got every thing to work (with out ecm and 40 wires ) except the temp gauge....It did work before I started removing process,,,What wire color????? Receives the signal from the sender??? I have tried a new sender,,,it sends ohms signal,,,ok,,,I have tried the sensor by the #1 spark plug,,,it also sends an ohms reading,,,,so,,I am ready to receive the ohms signal at the gauge with no luck.....can't communicate with the gauge....any I deals,,,,norm

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Should be a single green wire using the older style "GM 56" female blade connector, it'll be the sensor/switch in the drivers side head. That wire will be in the actual engine harness, follow it to ensure it's okay up to the firewall bulkhead. The computer used the one on the intake using two wires.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Coolant sensor for ecm and gauge not related. Take a test light and hook up to green wire for temp gauge. Could be on right head between rear 2 plugs or left head between front 2 sparkplugs. Ground other end of test light, turn key on and see what gauge does. If it pegs either way, bad sender. If nothing happens then put other end of test light to positive 12v. Turn key on and look at temp gauge. If nothing happen either way then you will have to go to gauge cluster and do same at cluster to determine if you cut the wrong darn wire or the gauge died

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

Broshous

n00b
Feb 7, 2018
Should be a single green wire using the older style "GM 56" female blade connector, it'll be the sensor/switch in the drivers side head. That wire will be in the actual engine harness, follow it to ensure it's okay up to the firewall bulkhead. The computer used the one on the intake using two wires.
Thanks for your help,,,,I go forward......

Broshous

n00b
Feb 7, 2018
Coolant sensor for ecm and gauge not related. Take a test light and hook up to green wire for temp gauge. Could be on right head between rear 2 plugs or left head between front 2 sparkplugs. Ground other end of test light, turn key on and see what gauge does. If it pegs either way, bad sender. If nothing happens then put other end of test light to positive 12v. Turn key on and look at temp gauge. If nothing happen either way then you will have to go to gauge cluster and do same at cluster to determine if you cut the wrong darn wire or the gauge died
I thank you,will proceed accordingly,,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor