Temp Spec for idiot light switches? Or just bench test?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Was curious. I'm gonna add a temp switch to my engine. I mean, the wire's just dangling there, and it works when grounded, I might as well. Is there a spec on what they were factory? 215? 220? ...240? ik by the time they appear sh*t's already hit the fan and now you have to repaint the living room, but it's one of those things I've just never gotten around to.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Was wondering. Like are they set for say 215, at idle my car may hover around that would it make it come on, are there different ratings, etc... Or are they set for something dumb like 240 or 250 that will only come on once things are well passed ****ed?

Last edited:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Was wondering. Like are they set for say 215, at idle my car may hover around that would it make it come on, are there different ratings, etc... Or are they set for something dumb like 240 or 250 that will only come on once things are well passed ****ed?

if your engine expires if it hits 250 degrees then your engine had problems to begin with. If you read your gauges why would you need another warning light?

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Let me rephrase: what is the preset temp the switches are designed to come on at?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
they come in varying temperatures, pick which one you want. We used a 250 in our race car and that was bright red for about half the race.....we had 2 big fire extinguisher filled with water and pressurised so soon as the wcar his the pits we attacked the rad with the water. Highest temperature we recorded was 279 and that 603 crate engine build in Mexico never blew. Personally I would rather have a pressure gauge, that tells you more than a temperature gauge

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor