EL CAMINO Temperature light

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caballero 81

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 1, 2020
What’s up guys I’m new to this sit I have a 81 el Camino the temperature light stays on after start up top hose is cold everything else is hot I’m guessing thermostats stuff...

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
it is probably the sender is defective but you can test that with a multitester if the sender checks out then check the wiring to see if it is grounded anywhere if it is not then it could be a problem with the circuit board when did this problem start did you do any work on the car before this problem started if you did i would go back and check on the work to see if that caused the problem good luck...... :popcorn:

Caballero 81

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 1, 2020
it is probably the sender is defective but you can test that with a multitester if the sender checks out then check the wiring to see if it is grounded anywhere if it is not then it could be a problem with the circuit board when did this problem start did you do any work on the car before this problem started if you did i would go back and check on the work to see if that caused the problem good luck...... :popcorn:
Thermostat I’m assuming is the problem

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
I think that he meant stuck closed. That would prevent coolant flow. If/when you change your thermostat, drill two little (1/16 or 3/32) holes in the outer flange so that a small amount of coolant will always flow. When reassembling, be certain to install right side up. If thermostat is upside down, it will not work properly, or not at all.
20200414_191247.jpg

This is the top view of a thermostat, drill two holes in the flange similar to what is shown here. These holes shown are too large and there are too many of them, so use a small drill bit, and only drill two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor