Terrible metal on metal noise F150

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faulk21NG238

Apprentice
Jun 9, 2010
I own a 2006 Ford F150 (I know I know I should buy a Chevy). For the past few months I have had a very load metal on metal screeching noise coming from the front and rear wheel areas. I have taken all 4 wheels off and inspecting for damage and have found nothing near the calipers, wheels or rotors.

The sound seemed to have started after the front breaks were replaced. An initial thought was the break pad speaking, so they were removed and anti squeak was placed on them. This didn’t seem to help either. Initially the sound first started only when coasting (at a stop sign or pulling into a parking spot). Now it does it at 80 mph so it has continuously gotten worse. I took it into a local shop in town and they told me that the rotors were warped and they needed replaced. Instead of replacing them I had all 4 of them turned. This did not seem to help the situation. The sound does not happen all of the time that is why I am thinking the rotors are not the problem. Nothing seems to make it start or stop. When the sound starts I have pushed on the brake pedal to see if it changes the pitch or causes the squeak to stop and it does nothing. Doesn’t make the sound go away, or get louder.

I am completely lost as to what could be causing this. Any suggestions?

Faulk21NG238

Apprentice
Jun 9, 2010
Forgot to mention in my original post, I have replaced the hubs in the front. The sound seems to be coming from the front and the back, alternating. Its very difficult to pinpoint exactly where the sound is coming from. Im going to try putting the truck in 4WDH first to see if the light comes on (as a post in the link says to do). I will let you know what I find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor