Tesla Model S Spanks a Dodge Viper SRT10 (Vid)

Status
Not open for further replies.

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
Check this out. The Tesla Model S, the story, it's quite amazing. If you watch the video below, you will realize that:

1. Tesla is the car of the future... well, now
2. You should apply for a job at the Tesla plant if you need work
3. you will soon own and drive a Tesla

a3h8r7.jpg

In the video, here are some points I jotted down:

• The car is powered purley by electricity
  • The car has >= range than gasoline vehicles (480 km)
  • The car has power, is faster than some supercars, watch it spank the Dodge Viper SRT10 in the 1/4 mile here.
  • The car is all aluminum and light weight
  • The car is mostly assembled by robots, except for the attention-to-detail parts
  • The car is powered by thousands of lithium ion cells
  • The car's "engine" is smaller than a typical subwoofer box, and houses between the rear wheels
  • The car's electric motor is magnetic field driven (induction motor), a concept created by Nikola Tesla himself (in 1887)
  • The car needs no transmission
  • The car needs no driveshaft, and has minimal moving parts
  • The car only needs to be driven by one pedal -- the gas pedal, when let off, becomes the brake pedal
  • The car costs less than half to recharge than to fill a gasoline vehicle
  • The car is affordable
  • The car has trunk space than turns into an additional 2 seats for a total of 6 seats (it's a 4 door SEDAN)
  • The car has all storage under the front hood
  • The car has zero emissions, produces no heat, and no exhaust fumes (design team test drives the car indoors -- in their plant!)
  • The car is relatively silent, no noise
  • The car's paint is double baked to a glass finish

It's worth watching the whole thing, pretty amazing:

[youtube]fmVtfBBYdZA[/youtube]

Fast forward to 13:36 for quick details

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
Things I hope electric cars can accomplish by vast deployment:
-Lower gas prices
-More lenient emission laws

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
454muscle said:
Check this out. The Tesla Model S, the story, it's quite amazing. If you watch the video below, you will realize that:

1. Tesla is the car of the future... well, now
2. You should apply for a job at the Tesla plant if you need work
3. you will soon own and drive a Tesla

If you want any of those things to happen, you had better go buy a bunch of vehicles from him. Seems not too long ago he missed a deadline in introducing a new design that would have earned him a very large grant. Last I understood the company may not be able to stay afloat much longer.

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
jrm81bu said:
If you want any of those things to happen, you had better go buy a bunch of vehicles from him. Seems not too long ago he missed a deadline in introducing a new design that would have earned him a very large grant. Last I understood the company may not be able to stay afloat much longer.
I didn't know that. But if that's true, it sounds eerily familiar.... Like when J.P. Morgan refused Tesla funding in 1917 in order to shut him down so that profits would be had with other means of generating electricity. If the company did just miss a deadline and was late, seems a but harsh to refuse a grant. Regardless, if you watch the video it seems the company's goals are severe long term and multi staged. Hopefully they can realize their goals in time.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
IIRC it was more than one missed deadline, can't remember for sure. I'd be kinda disappointed if the company did go away though somebody needs to be doing stuff like this.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
electric cars are useless until they come up with batteries that take a charge in minutes and not hours.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
pontiacgp said:
electric cars are useless until they come up with batteries that take a charge in minutes and not hours.

To some extent I agree. The exception is for a commuter that can get you to and from work on a full charge and then you can charge it overnight. Which a lot of the electric cars can already do. However when I say I wouldn't want to see this company go out of business it's more because if nobody is trying to make them better then the will never get better. Granted i'd be hard pressed to buy an electric car.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
jrm81bu said:
pontiacgp said:

To some extent I agree. The exception is for a commuter that can get you to and from work on a full charge and then you can charge it overnight. Which a lot of the electric cars can already do. However when I say I wouldn't want to see this company go out of business it's more because if nobody is trying to make them better then the will never get better. Granted i'd be hard pressed to buy an electric car.

I agree with you in part as well. I view the hybrids are a transitional vehicle until the batteries have advance to the point where no gas engine is required so the vehicle will be similar to the time it takes to fill up a conventional car. The hybrids though create more greenhouse gasses in their manufacture and the disposal of the battery than they can save during their life. The Telsa looks to be an awesome machine and it's a car of the future, we just catch up with the batteries. You'll notice the list telling us of the virtues of the car do not even mention the time it takes to recharge. The other problem with electric cars is the capacity the grid has to recharge them. In Toronto, Ontario it was reported that if 10% of any grid had their cars plugged in at the same time the grid would collapse. As for the Chevy Volt I don't know if you are aware but GM was topping up the price the car was sold for. It cost GM something like $38,000 for every Volt it sold

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
pontiacgp said:
jrm81bu said:
pontiacgp said:

I agree with you in part as well. I view the hybrids are a transitional vehicle until the batteries have advance to the point where no gas engine is required so the vehicle will be similar to the time it takes to fill up a conventional car. The hybrids though create more greenhouse gasses in their manufacture and the disposal of the battery than they can save during their life. The Telsa looks to be an awesome machine and it's a car of the future, we just catch up with the batteries. You'll notice the list telling us of the virtues of the car do not even mention the time it takes to recharge. The other problem with electric cars is the capacity the grid has to recharge them. In Toronto, Ontario it was reported that if 10% of any grid had their cars plugged in at the same time the grid would collapse. As for the Chevy Volt I don't know if you are aware but GM was topping up the price the car was sold for. It cost GM something like $38,000 for every Volt it sold

Yeah in that list, those are just my points, positive ones. Yeah, I considered the negatives too, as in the time it takes to recharge -- but we take time to charge our smart phones without complaint because we are used to it. The power grid load -- didn't think of that one, of course it would require further enhancements to power supply etc.. and then there's the issue of, how long will the battery pack last -- our cell phones and laptops using similar batteries tend to wear out over time, and what is the replacement cost of that over the life of the car. Some things to consider. However, I just like the whole movement to a new method of fueling our vehicles. It's a change like the industrial revolution. Eventually, I can see air planes using the same technology. and so on, etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor