Texas82GP's GMT900

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I have been reserving comment until you settled in a bit and acclimatized. Congrats on mission success. That said, I cannot stress enough that now you need a supercharger.
This is why I prefer to refer to you as "Mr. Forced Induction."

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I have been reserving comment until you settled in a bit and acclimatized. Congrats on mission success. That said, I cannot stress enough that now you need a supercharger.
I don't think that will properly responsibilify my finace-ification....
5aba77069831c019008b479c-750-375.jpg

• Haha

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
So, I've got around 1100 miles on the swap. The truck runs the best it ever has since I swapped in the cam. The tuner really nailed it. I still think the stall speed is a bit high to be optimal but I don't find it extreme at all anymore, and really I'm splitting hairs. There is no way I would pull the transmission to swap the converter, and if I did, I might find myself disappointed with the result. I think it is that close. My buddy that runs the transmission parts house came out to the house last weekend for a visit. I let him take it for a spin and he was really surprised by how the converter felt. He didn't find it extreme at all and he really expected to. I didn't ask him but I doubt he's ever driven something with a 3600-3700 stall speed. Poor guy, he slightly got on it and the ABS light came back on. I gave him a hard time for breaking my truck. I scanned the codes and it is a rear wheel speed sensor malfunction code. Thankfully there has been no return of the CANBUS code since I cleaned up the main connector at the transmission. I went ahead and ordered two new rear wheel speed sensors last night. If I'm going to replace one, I'm going to replace both and hopefully be done with it.

I also ordered a Derale fluid control thermostat to help the transmission run warmer, especially this winter. Right now, if I hot rod it in the teeth of rush hour traffic while it is 98° outside, the transmission will grudgingly get up to 151°, so I guess the transmission cooler is big enough. Based on my research, the thermostat will make the transmission run at 165° year round. I haven't installed it yet but it seems really nice. Made in the USA....

https://derale.com/product-footer/fluid-coolers/thermostats-1/fluid-control-thermostats/13011-detail

So at some point before it gets cold, I'll dig back into the lines between the transmission and the cooler and plumb this in. I bought brass fittings to convert the 3/8" NPT of the thermostat to inverted flare so everything will still be 3/8" hard line.

I guess that's about it fellas. I'm really enjoying how well the truck runs. I've gotten on it pretty good (no WOT yet) and it is plenty fast for me. She's a thirsty girl though. I'm really glad to have it back and have no regrets swapping in the 4L85E. I'll update when there is something to report or when I put in that thermostat.

• Winner
Reactions: 7 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
It actually isn't good to have your transmission too cold, just like too warm is bad.. 175ish give or take is a nice temp

Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
It actually isn't good to have your transmission too cold, just like too warm is bad.. 175ish give or take is a nice temp
Thanks for the reply. I totally agree and I think it is really running too cool now so when the temperatures start dropping in November it is going to run way too cool. With the previous setup (4L65E 3000-3200 stall and OE auxiliary transmission cooler, I would occasionally see 200° or a little better in the teeth of rush hour on a 100° day. With the higher stall speed, I wanted to make sure I had enough cooler and wanted it to run around 180°. I just overshot it. The thermostat that I bought is rated at 180° but I read many reviews using it with 4L80E's in GMT 800's where they said it ran 165° all the time. I think 165° will be fine.

Reactions: 3 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Supercharger.
You actually got me to look into it. It would be cool but too expensive this year. After family vacation, I'm buying the coil overs so I can do the conversion. I already have the brackets for it. I also need some GP budget. I have most everything to put it back together but I'll find a way to spend another $2k-$3k pretty easy getting it back together.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
  • Wow
  • Dislike
Reactions: 5 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor