Th200 4r - Why is this gearbox so amazing and when shifting it skids hard? - I love her

Status
Not open for further replies.

J. Gregorio

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 4, 2020
TH200 4R: PARA MÍ... LA MEJOR EMOCIÓN AL PISAR A FONDO :)

El Malibú Classic 82 de mi padre derrapa o pica cauchos al cambiar, Esta caja de cambios es asombrosa!.
El chevy fue modificado a: 305 Goodwrench (tapa rayada), carburador 4 barreras Quadrajet Rochester, radiador con 4 canales y el diferencial original.

Es la misma caja de cambios que tuvo el monte carlo ss v8, cierto?

Porque es tan increíble esta caja de cambios y al hacer los cambios derrapa con fuerza? - Th200 4r la amo

Hay un vídeo en you tube donde se puede apreciar el sonido de las ruedas al hacer los cambios de velocidades. PUEDO ADJUNTAR EN LINK AQUI COMPAÑEROS?

TH200 4R: FOR ME ... THE BEST THRILL OF WALKING DOWN :)

My father's Malibu Classic 82 skidding or chipping tires when shifting, This gearbox is amazing!
The chevy was modified to: 305 Goodwrench (scratched top), Quadrajet Rochester 4-bar carburetor, 4-channel radiator and the original differential.

It's the same gearbox that the monte carlo ss v8 had, right?

Why is this gearbox so incredible and when shifting it skids hard? - Th200 4r I love her

There is a video on you tube where you can appreciate the sound of the wheels when changing gears. CAN I ADD PARTNERS IN LINK HERE?

Attachments

• th200_4r[1].jpg
    th200_4r[1].jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 167
  • th200_4r_Transmission[1].jpg
    th200_4r_Transmission[1].jpg
    653.3 KB · Views: 176
Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
They are good transmissions when set up right. It's probably the shift kit making it chirp.

Add all the links you want, as long as they make sense and are relevant.

• Clever
Reactions: 1 users

83MonteCarloSS

Greasemonkey
Oct 5, 2015
Replacing my TH350 with a 200-4r was the best upgrade I ever did. When the governor is set up correctly for the rear gear and you have a performance valve body this transmission makes the car very enjoyable.

They did come in the Monte Carlo SS from 85 - 88.

Where did you get your transmission from?

• Happy
Reactions: 1 user

J. Gregorio

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 4, 2020
They are good transmissions when set up right. It's probably the shift kit making it chirp.

Add all the links you want, as long as they make sense and are relevant.
en el video explica que es una th350, pero yo veo un igual ejemplo a la th200 4r en el malibu de mi padre. Hace prácticamente lo mismo al hacer los cambios, lo cual es sorprendete! porque el malibu de mi padre es 4 puertas y por ende es mas pesado supongo.

ruedas chirriar en minutos:
6:40
8:10
13:29

Opiniones?...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the video he explains that it is a th350, but I see the same example as the th200 4r in my father's malibu. It does pretty much the same thing when making the changes, which is surprising! because my father's malibu is 4 doors and therefore is heavier I guess.

wheels screeching in minutes:
6:40
8:10
13:29

Opinions? ...

J. Gregorio

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 4, 2020
Replacing my TH350 with a 200-4r was the best upgrade I ever did. When the governor is set up correctly for the rear gear and you have a performance valve body this transmission makes the car very enjoyable.

They did come in the Monte Carlo SS from 85 - 88.

Where did you get your transmission from?
fantástico mi amigo!, cuando dices gobernador te refieres dentro de la caja de cambios? aquí es muy difícil encontrar repuestos para esa caja de cambios. casi tendría que vender un riñón jajaja. el cuerpo de válvulas de mejor performance los venden por cuanto $ en USA? la única opción seria importarlo a acá.

No sabria decirte de que auto es, pues se compro en una chivera, (desguace) importadora.

Bien, Monte Carlo SS del 85 al 88 y tambien en algunos buicks y oldsmobile, cierto?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

fantastic my friend !, when you say governor you mean inside the gearbox? here it is very difficult to find spare parts for that gearbox. I would almost have to sell a kidney hahaha. Do you sell the best performing valve body for how many dollars in USA? the only option would be to import it here.

I would not know what car it is, because it was bought in a chivera, (scrapping) importer.

Well, Monte Carlo SS from 85 to 88 and also some buicks and oldsmobile, right?

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
You can do a shift kit and servo on any model of 2004R to improve shift quality. Either CK Performance or Transgo, the first is someone who builds these finicky transmission. You could up the shift points with governor mods but for your car 4000 rpm is fine. Some shift at 3000 rpm which might be low. Here is the links to the shift kit's. The Transgo has gone way up in price, so I would buy the base CK kit. The servo is key to firm shifts. I set one too tight, the shifts were amazing but burnt out the band in short order. The has tonbe clearance or the band I'd constantly dragging and will wear out quickly.

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
This is exactly how the 83-85 Olds VIN 9 cars came with the OZ 200-4R. When new, it would bark the tires shifting into 2nd with even light throttle depending on the road surface. Smooth asphalt was the easiest to get it to shift and bark tires. But even if it didn't squawk, it shifted hard from 1-2. This turned out to be BAD news on icy roads, though. 1-2 shift could send you into a fishtail and scare the f**k out of you. I found out the hard way. They toned down the shifts in the 86-87 442 transmissions.

When I was purchasing my 85, there was an ultra-nice 83 H/O sitting in the used car lot. Dealer told me a woman did not like the way the car shifted. She thought something was wrong with it, they told her it was the way it was supposed to be, but she felt she had to do something else. So she traded it in. Her problem got solved, apparently.

My opinion is if you like the way it shifts, by all means...it's better for the transmission, but could be hard on other components like U-joints, gear teeth, etc.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor