TH200 and TH350 disptick length

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daca214

G-Body Guru
Dec 1, 2017
Jupiter, FL
are they the same?

I have a th200 and the dipstick has GM 1257013 which from what i see comes up as a th350

It measures 28” ?

I am still leaking transmission fluid from speedo housing with new housing and piston gear and classic transmission mentioned the possibility that we are overfilling. We had two add two additional qtrs to bring to full on stick after adding 6 when we changed the pan gasket and filter?
Could it be the wrong dipstick?

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Typically when a transmission is overfilled it will puke out of the dipstick tube. That being said, the cases on the TH200 and TH350 are quite similar so it is possible that the dipstick works on both. I have both at the house, but it would be midnight or better before I could check for sure.

Daca214

G-Body Guru
Dec 1, 2017
Jupiter, FL
Typically when a transmission is overfilled it will puke out of the dipstick tube. That being said, the cases on the TH200 and TH350 are quite similar so it is possible that the dipstick works on both. I have both at the house, but it would be midnight or better before I could check for sure.
Ok thanks. I dont see any leak from the tube itself. It was leaking from shift seal and i replaced that and it seemed to stop their. Now its just this leak from speedo housing. And its not a small leak. I would say 2 qts have leaked out within hours. Seems to stop one fluid gets below the housing

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
it might not be a bad idea to calibrate the dipstick in this case seeing how you're chasing a fluid level problem and all.if you drop the pan off the full line on the stick should inline with the pan rail.pan rail as in the machined surface that the pan gasket sits on.this was a requirement on my part to start the warranty for my transmission.in these days of aftermarket dipsticks deeper pans etc etc it's cheap insurance to keeping your transmission correct.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
I measured out today, and my TH 200c dipstick measures 29 inches long. My Chevrolet bolt patterned TH 350 also measures 29 inches. However, my BOP patterned TH 350 measures 24 inches long.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Dipstick and tubes are a matched set whose length varies based upon original vehicle and trans application...by now many have been mixed/mismatched.

Have you replaced the speedo driven gear seal IN the speedo adapter? Many people don't even know such a thing exists. I had one in a TH200 that leaked, but not that badly. However, if there isn't one in it at all, I could see a massive leak being possible.

http://atpautomotive.com/speedometer-pinion-seal-so-13

Daca214

G-Body Guru
Dec 1, 2017
Jupiter, FL
Dipstick and tubes are a matched set whose length varies based upon original vehicle and trans application...by now many have been mixed/mismatched.

Have you replaced the speedo driven gear seal IN the speedo adapter? Many people don't even know such a thing exists. I had one in a TH200 that leaked, but not that badly. However, if there isn't one in it at all, I could see a massive leak being possible.

http://atpautomotive.com/speedometer-pinion-seal-so-13
Forgive my ignorance but does this seal go on the inside part of the speedo housing (the end the gear slides in). If so there is nothing there. Its a new housing and it does have a seal and small metal C-clip on the outside facing part (threaded side)

I even asked the guys at classic transmission solutions where i bought it if a seal goes inside because plastic on plastic doesnt seem right

Daca214

G-Body Guru
Dec 1, 2017
Jupiter, FL
it might not be a bad idea to calibrate the dipstick in this case seeing how you're chasing a fluid level problem and all.if you drop the pan off the full line on the stick should inline with the pan rail.pan rail as in the machined surface that the pan gasket sits on.this was a requirement on my part to start the warranty for my transmission.in these days of aftermarket dipsticks deeper pans etc etc it's cheap insurance to keeping your transmission correct.
I might have to do this. Although i want to see what ribbedroof responds in regards to the driven gear seal and its location. I have no seal on inner part of housing where gear slides in and its just plastic on plastic. Company said there is no seal there though so i dont know :blam:

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Sounds like you have the seal in it. Sometimes new stuff doesn't come complete.

A little confused by leaking there, does the O-ring fit tight into the case when you insert the adapter/sleeve for the gear? It really can only leak past the O-ring or the seal, UNLESS the case bore is gacked

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor