TH2004R tear down and build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I plan on tearing down this trans over the next few months. I will be working 6 days a week and probably 12 hour days for the next month, coming shortly. Every Spring and Fall, I love Farmers🤨. Any incite on guys who have built these transmissions, please chime in. The good part, even if some of internals show questionable wear, I have to two more cores to potentially build or gather parts from. This trans worked fine except for slow engagement into forward gears, when cold especially. The other core outside only has 1, 2 and reverse. The third works perfectly and looked like a possible recent rebuild, still in my 70S. Moving carts work great to prop up a trans for disassembly. I remember my old boss using a garbage can with vice grips to change an o ring on a trans pump. Also a list of the necessary tools to do one of these trans is helpful. I know a bushing driver should be on that list. I have the big CK manual, plan on brushing up on it over the next few months.

Attachments

• 20210410_122459.jpg
    20210410_122459.jpg
    966.8 KB · Views: 126
Reactions: 3 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
This is for the Olds 350 stroker, so many upgrades are needed. I have a deep pan, 2350 flash stall converter, modified and pinned 5000ish governor, TCI lock up kit and external cooler. I have the Bible of the Cult of the 2004R trans, the CK manual. I also have the ASTG online manual for the 2004R. Here is the tag as well.
20210410_191132.jpg
20210411_060857.jpg
20210410_222446.jpg
20210410_222442.jpg

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Chris at CK is hard to contact consistently. A member here that makes rare appearances, TexasT, is very knowledgeable of this transmission. Hopefully he chimes in if he sees this thread.

I have the CK book and along with that and ATSG service manual I was able to pull it off for some basic repairs. For a driver the book will be fine.

Reactions: 1 users

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I hired a buddy of mine that has 35 years experience building transmissions to rebuild mine. We did it together and finally got it right on the fourth attempt. We made two big mistakes. The internal sealing surfaces were not prepped properly which resulted in leaks and lower than desirable line pressures. Secondly, clearances in the clutch packs were not to specification. Check the stack up between your steels and your clutches very carefully. We favored the tighter side of the tolerance. If I had to do it over again I would just buy one from CK performance with better shift points than any of the Vin 9 cars had. Keep us posted on your progress!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I'm also interested to see how you progress with the build. I have a unit that I've been planning to build for some time now. Currently it's all apart, except for a few of the clutch packs.( or pistons). I have the 200-4R ATSG manual, and the CK Performance manual (on loan from a standing member, thanks Chris).
I have spoken to Rich( TexasT) some time ago. Very knowledgeable guy.
Having access to some of the tools, or substitute tools, is very helpful. I have looked up some of the Kent-Moore tools that are still available for sale, but find that they're not worth purchasing if you're only going to do one trans.
Having a good set of bushing drivers is a plus. It is also beneficial to have access to a hydraulic press.
Any recommendations as far as parts sources are concerned?

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I hired a buddy of mine that has 35 years experience building transmissions to rebuild mine. We did it together and finally got it right on the fourth attempt. We made two big mistakes. The internal sealing surfaces were not prepped properly which resulted in leaks and lower than desirable line pressures. Secondly, clearances in the clutch packs were not to specification. Check the stack up between your steels and your clutches very carefully. We favored the tighter side of the tolerance. If I had to do it over again I would just buy one from CK performance with better shift points than any of the Vin 9 cars had. Keep us posted on your progress!!
My son bought a CK Per 200-4R. At the time Chris sold a 'Stage 1' that was rated to 400 or 500 ft/lbs. We upgraded to a billet input shaft and planetaries when the turbo got bolted on to the 327. We broke that once in warranty and I never looked inside it again.

I have a local guy that I refer to as the trans Dr. go through it now every other year. And it usually needs clutches by that time, but my son's motor makes 800whp easily. I love his 200 and it's treated us well, but if I knew then what I know now, then I would've went 4L80 with a controller - we'd a been money ahead.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I plan on getting parts through CK Performance. I will start collecting the tools needed and will definitely take my time on this one and measure everything.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
V8Rumble rebuilt his 200-4R in his garage with some good parts from Sonnax. Search his postings for some excellent advice.

• Agree

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
V8Rumble rebuilt his 200-4R in his garage with some good parts from Sonnax. Search his postings for some excellent advice.
Quinn,
I had also spoken to Joe awhile back. He was able to substitute a few of the tools with C-clamps to compress the clutch packs and a few other ditties.
My friend, who had rebuilt his BRF 200 some years back , used a drill press with a few various pieces of PVC pipe to compress the pistons and access the retaining clip(s). Sometimes a little ingenuity goes a long way.
https://gbodyforum.com/threads/200-4r-build-its-starting-complete.57646/ Here's Joe's thread.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
My son bought a CK Per 200-4R. At the time Chris sold a 'Stage 1' that was rated to 400 or 500 ft/lbs. We upgraded to a billet input shaft and planetaries when the turbo got bolted on to the 327. We broke that once in warranty and I never looked inside it again.

I have a local guy that I refer to as the trans Dr. go through it now every other year. And it usually needs clutches by that time, but my son's motor makes 800whp easily. I love his 200 and it's treated us well, but if I knew then what I know now, then I would've went 4L80 with a controller - we'd a been money ahead.
I agree that a 4L80 is the way to go. when I built my 2004R it was all about keeping the 442 Olds powered with a factory drivetrain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor