TH200c/3.8 to SBB350 and TH350

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Hello all. I have some good, and bad news. The good, I have my Buick 350 down to the bare block. The bores are SPOTLESS, everything was there, no stuck lifters, bent pushrods, or burned valves. Just normal wear and tear for a... 38 year old engine! Now, I am planning on just honing the cylinder bores and re-ringing the pistons and adding new rod&main bearings and slapping it back together. And also having the heads cleaned and maintenanced.

Ok, now for the bad. The TH350 I got as part of the deal for the SBB, is pretty much done for. The outer casing the lower left (looking at front of trans) mounting ear (by the starter) has been sheered off and both dowl holes on the trans are broken. Might've happened during engine separation, or transport. I don't know. All I know is the trans is junk, and I don't know about the internals. Guy said it ran and shifted fine 10+ years ago when pulled.

Now time for questions. Will my 200 metric be able to handle a 1977 150hp 350? It doesn't slip (much, but could just be old fluid), shifts manually fine, doesn't creak or rattle. Metric will be out before the end of the year before a 200r4 replaces it. Also, will I be able to reuse the shift brackets that are attached to the carb? Original engine s a 3.8 2bbl, and the 350 is a 2bbl as well. Bone stock.

Thanks,

MrSony

****EDIT****
Forgot to add, this will be a daily driver. Around 500 miles a week, MAX. Will never see a track with this trans, may see a few burnouts and hole shots with normal radials. Will it hold up? Thanks again.

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
I don't trust metric 200's to work for door stops...But if it's what you have then use it and be gentle with it. When sitting on hills, even slight inclines hold the car with the brake not the torque converter. Give it a fluid and filter change as well and be sure to not overfill it, that causes foaming and leads to cooling issues.
These didn't always hold up with the 3.8.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor