th200c choices

Status
Not open for further replies.

a.graham52

Greasemonkey
Oct 19, 2017
so here's the deal. iv been chasing a stumble/hitch under light throttle, lock up condition. the more I'm driving the car the more I'm getting convinced it's the TC. there are times when it feels like I'm riding the brakes at 45mph. but usually it's just a hitch similar to ignition system breakdown. last thing I'm going to do is the the choke closed enough to cause a rich condition.

so here where I am in Maine, there are not many good donor cars around here to get a good used 200, 350 or 2004r. they all either rot and or crushed, or they are crushed for money. I really don't want to drop 1000 plus for a new trans. my 85 cutlass has 81k miles, concern only happens with TC lock up, shifts fine and goes good everywhere else. is there something I should check/clean before I throw in a TC? already done fluid and filter btw.

transman

Apprentice
May 17, 2015
Western Canada
so here's the deal. iv been chasing a stumble/hitch under light throttle, lock up condition. the more I'm driving the car the more I'm getting convinced it's the TC. there are times when it feels like I'm riding the brakes at 45mph. but usually it's just a hitch similar to ignition system breakdown. last thing I'm going to do is the the choke closed enough to cause a rich condition.

so here where I am in Maine, there are not many good donor cars around here to get a good used 200, 350 or 2004r. they all either rot and or crushed, or they are crushed for money. I really don't want to drop 1000 plus for a new trans. my 85 cutlass has 81k miles, concern only happens with TC lock up, shifts fine and goes good everywhere else. is there something I should check/clean before I throw in a TC? already done fluid and filter btw.
If you suspect it is a lockup converter problem, then you probably need to replace the T.C.C. (torque converter control) solenoid. There are 4 different ones GM used over the years the 200C was in production. If you've got a TRANSTAR warehouse in your area, they'll have it for you. Just google Transtar to see where the closest location is to you.
The lockup piston in the converter is controlled by the solenoid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor