TH200C - Where is the lockup switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Bennett

Greasemonkey
Jun 7, 2018
Just put a 400 small block in my 1980 malibu in place of the 229 six. I know the TH200C won't be long for this world but I'd like to make it last until I can get a TH350 ready to go in. Since this doesn't have a computer, I think vacuum is supposed to control converter lock up? The only thing like that I see is a vacuum switch on the driver's fender but the vacuum lines were connected to the old carb and the charcoal canister. I'm bypassing the canister so do I just hook the switch up to manifold vacuum? ported?

Michael Bennett

Greasemonkey
Jun 7, 2018
Just realized I probably should have posted this in the drivetrain section.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
For durability purposes, you maybe better off leaving the lock-up converter unplugged. If you mash the gas while the lock-up converter is engaged, the full power of the engine will go to the internals of the transmission. If the converter is unlocked, the torque converter will take some of the strain.

You will only lose about 100 RPM at cruise speeds with it unhooked, but the trade off is a little more heat from the converter. Unless you are brake torquing it though, there shouldn't be enough to be a concern.

I have been running one behind a healthy 350 with good results.

That being said, if you do want to hook it up it should be plumbed as follows: Manifold vacuum source -> one way check valve -> vacuum switch.

Michael Bennett

Greasemonkey
Jun 7, 2018
For durability purposes, you maybe better off leaving the lock-up converter unplugged. If you mash the gas while the lock-up converter is engaged, the full power of the engine will go to the internals of the transmission. If the converter is unlocked, the torque converter will take some of the strain.

You will only lose about 100 RPM at cruise speeds with it unhooked, but the trade off is a little more heat from the converter. Unless you are brake torquing it though, there shouldn't be enough to be a concern.

I have been running one behind a healthy 350 with good results.

That being said, if you do want to hook it up it should be plumbed as follows: Manifold vacuum source -> one way check valve -> vacuum switch.
Okay so maybe I'll just leave it unhooked and get a transmission cooler.

Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
From the 1980 GM shop manual

xoc8uz.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor