TH350 Cooling lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

79wagonator

Greasemonkey
Apr 21, 2011
Long Island, NY
Hey, Long time no post..
My trans cooling hard lines are rusted a bit & leaking. I want to change em to black braided lines & mount them to frame to clear headers & for bbc swap. Has anyone done this recently? Does anyone know what size fittings I would need for the trans side & radiator side? It’s a 79 Malibu wagon with original sbc & TH350.
Does anyone make a kit maybe?
TIA
Dave..

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Important to know, the fittings on the transmission are not NPT. Those are straight thread. Using NPT can possibly crack the transmission case. I bought a set of stainless prebent lines from Inline and they fit fine.Might be easier than using braided. Theres plenty of room between the lines and header tubes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Hey, Long time no post..
My trans cooling hard lines are rusted a bit & leaking. I want to change em to black braided lines & mount them to frame to clear headers & for bbc swap. Has anyone done this recently? Does anyone know what size fittings I would need for the trans side & radiator side? It’s a 79 Malibu wagon with original sbc & TH350.
Does anyone make a kit maybe?
TIA
Dave..
Hi Dave,
Good to see you back again. I think the last time(s) I spoke to you, you were contemplating swapping a big block into the wagon. I guess it was put on the backburner for awhile. Also, I think you were going to give the car to your son if I recall correctly.
All in all, it's good to see that you're back on the wagon again....you know what I mean. :LOL:
565bbchevy has a good point there regarding upgrading to a different transmission. Perhaps a TH400 or 700R4 depending on if you want overdrive or not.

Reactions: 1 user

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
Important to know, the fittings on the transmission are not NPT. Those are straight thread. Using NPT can possibly crack the transmission case. I bought a set of stainless prebent lines from Inline and they fit fine.Might be easier than using braided. Theres plenty of room between the lines and header tubes.
the fittings you want are NPS,these threads are straight.the seal relies on a crush washer or o-ring.unlike npt that seals via a tapered thread.you're looking for something along the lines of 1/4nps-6 an to switch to a braided hose equal to the o.e steel line.

Reactions: 2 users

79wagonator

Greasemonkey
Apr 21, 2011
Long Island, NY
Hi Dave,
Good to see you back again. I think the last time(s) I spoke to you, you were contemplating swapping a big block into the wagon. I guess it was put on the backburner for awhile. Also, I think you were going to give the car to your son if I recall correctly.
All in all, it's good to see that you're back on the wagon again....you know what I mean. :LOL:
565bbchevy has a good point there regarding upgrading to a different transmission. Perhaps a TH400 or 700R4 depending on if you want overdrive or not.
Hey Jack
Good to see ya still here kicking around. 😁 yeah I tried to give it to him so he’d have more interest but he’s busy getting his act together finding a career path (union electrician or job w MTA)
He was using it as a DD for awhile when my 95 Surburban I gave him to drive needed work & now the Th350 needs rebuilding. It only does 1st & 3rd and ya gotta shift manually 😳

79wagonator

Greasemonkey
Apr 21, 2011
Long Island, NY
You might want to look at a trans upgrade with a BBC install.
It’s gonna be a mild 461 street engine I’m gonna have him beef up the th350 when it gets redone. I think it should hold up fine.
That’s good to know! Thank you 😊 I bought the SS brake lines & fuel lines from inline. I wasn’t sure about the clearance with a bbc & headers. You think it’ll clear with slightly larger block & the starter n stuff?

79wagonator

Greasemonkey
Apr 21, 2011
Long Island, NY
the fittings you want are NPS,these threads are straight.the seal relies on a crush washer or o-ring.unlike npt that seals via a tapered thread.you're looking for something along the lines of 1/4nps-6 an to switch to a braided hose equal to the o.e steel line.
Thank you👍 That’s the info I was looking for. I think there are adapters already on there already on the factory lines I guess NPS to a flare fitting?

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
It’s gonna be a mild 461 street engine I’m gonna have him beef up the th350 when it gets redone. I think it should hold up fine.

That’s good to know! Thank you 😊 I bought the SS brake lines & fuel lines from inline. I wasn’t sure about the clearance with a bbc & headers. You think it’ll clear with slightly larger block & the starter n stuff?
I should have read slower. Didnt notice that it was a BBC. I used them with a SB.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I wasn’t sure about the clearance with a bbc & headers
On my BBC I have 8 AN braided lines but I mounted them to my wheel well to keep them away from my headers

IMG_1382.JPG

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor