TH350 Governor question

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnboy123

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 27, 2019
I need to pull the governor in my '79 Malibu wagon and change weights due to a rear-end gearing change. While I'm waiting for the calibration kit to arrive, I jacked the car up to preview what needs to be done.
My question is this: Typically, can I pull the governor without lowering the trans, or would I need to drop crossmember, driveshaft, exhaust, etc?
Or, if anyone has a governor lying around, would you measure the length and let me know? It looks like I have about 3 1/2" - 4" estimated clearance, and I don't know if that's going to be enough.
Any hints or tips on removing the TH350 governor while in the car would be appreciated. Thanks,
John

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
There is room, you may need a chisel to tap the cover open and pull it out.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
@@-2q?`♧3 ?◇

Michael Bennett

Greasemonkey
Jun 7, 2018
On my 700R4 I have to stick a large hammer handle up between the trans and floor pan and pry out on the trans tunnel just a hair so the govrnor can slide all the way out. If worse comes to worse you can take the trans mount bolts out ans slide the trans to the right just a hair.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

johnboy123

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 27, 2019
Thanks for the input and the secret codes!
Just to let you know I've met with success!

My original part-throttle 1-2 shift was occurring at about 12mph. I thought that a 20mph shift would be much better, especially with the camshaft I'm running.
I did get the cover off and the governor out without having to undo anything underneath the car.
My outer weights were solid, and it seemed that pictures of hi-performance governors had windowed outer weights, so I drilled a 3/8" hole into each of the outer weights, taking them from approx. 44 1/2 grams each to 42 grams each. I didn't change springs or inner weights. (The inner weights in my "governor recalibration kit") were bent at the holes, so were useless anyway). I reinstalled the governor and cover, and was rewarded with part-throttle shifts at about 18mph. I'm going to stick right there until I get quieter mufflers, then I'll trim a little more weight off and shoot for 20-22mph part-throttle shifts. The hardest part of the entire process was reinstalling the governor cover... not much room to swing a hammer! LOL
Thanks to all for your friendly tips.

Reactions: 1 user

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
Just to let you know I've met with success!

My original part-throttle 1-2 shift was occurring at about 12mph. I thought that a 20mph shift would be much better, especially with the camshaft I'm running.
I did get the cover off and the governor out without having to undo anything underneath the car.
My outer weights were solid, and it seemed that pictures of hi-performance governors had windowed outer weights, so I drilled a 3/8" hole into each of the outer weights, taking them from approx. 44 1/2 grams each to 42 grams each. I didn't change springs or inner weights. (The inner weights in my "governor recalibration kit") were bent at the holes, so were useless anyway). I reinstalled the governor and cover, and was rewarded with part-throttle shifts at about 18mph. I'm going to stick right there until I get quieter mufflers, then I'll trim a little more weight off and shoot for 20-22mph part-throttle shifts. The hardest part of the entire process was reinstalling the governor cover... not much room to swing a hammer! LOL
Thanks to all for your friendly tips.

How much did it move the 2-3 shift?

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
From what I've gathered, the weights control upshift rpm (wot and part throttle) and the springs space out the shifts from 1-2 and 2-3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor