TH350/Hurst Lightning Rods reverse lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

smallengineguy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 28, 2011
Hey! Been awhile since I've posted, I've been busy! Just finished installing a Holley Sniper system with their in-tank fuel pump into the 78 Regal. AMAZING system! I've had lightning rods in the car for a while now. It started with the console shift, but when I installed the rods, there was no physical link between the shifter/transmission and the ring on the column that makes the reverse lights come on. Has anyone ever fabricated a bracket/switch system to fix this? I was thinking of moving the wires from the column to the console with a switch that is mounted in a way when the car is in reverse, the rod presses the switch, turning on the reverse lights. Any ideas are appreciated!

Reactions: 1 user

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
On page 2 of the ,pdf look at the reverse lock out lever.

I would get a microswitch and make a bracket or find a way to mount it on the shifter to be activated by the reverse lockout lever.

Microswitch:

Microswitch.jpg

You can find microswitchs with long levers like in the picture in microwave oven door interlocks. Bend the lever to suit your needs.

Attachments

• Hurst_Lightning_Rod_Install_Instructions.pdf
    5.3 MB · Views: 96
Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
Or you can add the linkage to the column. I believe the floor shift and column shift both used the same linkage from the column to the trans. Though they may be different from say a th350 to a 200-4r, not quite sure about that. Of course that also depends on if you are able to use the stock linkage arm on the trans.

Reactions: 1 users

383_StealthRam

Greasemonkey
Dec 29, 2016
I have the Lightning Rods too, but when ARH installed my large tube headers they had to remove the trans to column linkage that activates the neutral safety & reverse light switch at the base of the column. I should have bitched and made them correct the header fitment so it would go back in...it all worked with the Hooker long tubes that were in previously but they did hang down lower...oh well ancient history.

I looked at different ways to re do the trans to column linkage with threaded rod, and cabling but in the end just left it as is. I thought about doing the micro-switch option, but never got around to it and really didn't want to do any drilling/cutting or welding to the OEM 4 speed Lightning Rods setup. Naturally it isn't optimal, but I can manually turn my steering column cover and activate the reverse lights to pass light check for state safety inspection once a year.

I recently picked up the GSS-3000 from Dakota Digital but haven't installed it yet. Not terrible for about $100 or so.

It attaches directly to the transmission manual valve lever and has a remote module to provide gear position outputs for their "P R N OD D 2 1" indicator panel. I haven't installed it yet, but it also includes NSS and REV light functionality. I have the LED gear indicator plate, but I may be upgrading to Holley Digital Dash down the road in which case I can use the GSS-3000 signal as an INPUT to the Holley Dash and create a nice virtual PRNDL gauge. Maybe I'll get motivated one of these weekends to crawl under there and get it installed...

1657292808000.png

1657292831752.png

smallengineguy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 28, 2011
Yeah, my headers got in the way of the linkage to the column. I need the reverse lights to work or the state won't pass it for inspection. I like the microswitch idea though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor