Th350 kick down detention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

STLRegal

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2007
St.Louis
So being an idiot I tried using the th200 TV cable in place of a proper th350 kick down cable. Well i snapped the top turn of the pin that's attached to the transmission. Now there is still enough to operate currently but if I need to replace it I better do it now, before I add fluid.

In short how to replace the detent?

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
So being an idiot I tried using the th200 TV cable in place of a proper th350 kick down cable. Well i snapped the top turn of the pin that's attached to the transmission. Now there is still enough to operate currently but if I need to replace it I better do it now, before I add fluid.

In short how to replace the detent?
If you still have the V6 and Th200, go you your local parts store and order a cable for your car. Make sure it has the same end (should be the black teardrop shape) and not the slot. There is a single bolt that holds it to the transmission on the passenger side. Be careful, as there is a metal tang that is sort of S shaped that the eyelet on the cable goes onto. Make a gasket as well as fluid can and will weep out of there. I used a cereal box to make the gasket. It helps to have the car on jacks on all four corners and a flashlight so you can see. it's pretty straight forward, and loosely ziptie the cable so it wont get pinched anywhere behind the motor. I suggest the dipstick tube as an anchor point, but again loosely.

Reactions: 1 user

STLRegal

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2007
St.Louis
Sorry I don't think I worded the question well. I have a proper th350 cable in there now. It's the little pin that the eye of the cable slides on is the issue I'm asking about.

When I was dicking around trying to attach the 200 TV cable I bent it and the end just snapped off.

The part I'm talking about is the pin that the KD cable attaches to on the transmission end.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Sorry I don't think I worded the question well. I have a proper th350 cable in there now. It's the little pin that the eye of the cable slides on is the issue I'm asking about.

When I was dicking around trying to attach the 200 TV cable I bent it and the end just snapped off.

The part I'm talking about is the pin that the KD cable attaches to on the transmission end.
Oh, the little metal thing that sticks out of the transmission itself? If you broke that its not terribly hard to replace, but You'd be better off taking it to a shop if thats what broke.

STLRegal

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2007
St.Louis
Thanks, if it's work I'll have to pay to fix I'll just run it as is and hope it holds up. It's not the end of the world if it doesn't work either. Plenty of guys don't use the kickdown.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Thanks, if it's work I'll have to pay to fix I'll just run it as is and hope it holds up. It's not the end of the world if it doesn't work either. Plenty of guys don't use the kickdown.
Yeah, since you clarified you don't have the metric, you can go without the detent, just downshift manually. Rule of thumb, although depending what gear ratio you have, 1st can take you to 60mph. 1st generally takes you upto 20-30mph,2nd 30-45mph, and 3rd 45mph and beyond. If you want the trans to live, just make sure to downshift in these limits in the correct gear and you will be fine.

STLRegal

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2007
St.Louis
Cool. Thanks for the tips. If it becomes an issue I'll probably get it fixed as soon as I can. In the meantime I still got a lot of work to be done on my swap, but really pushing on getting it on the road to enjoy it this fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor