Th350 or th350C?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RegMan79

Apprentice
Feb 23, 2016
Tucson, AZ
Did the 79 Monte with factory 305 come with the Th350 or th350C? The C was with a converter from what I hear. Trying to order a TG shift kit. Thanks

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
C does not mean converter, well it half does. C is for a LOCKUP style torque converter which locks 1:1 with the engine at highway speeds (usually engages at around 45mph). The valve bodies from what I remember are the same, so a shift kit from that same year of TH350 should work fine. All AUTO trans have a converter. A TH350 can be turned into a lockup transmission with an aftermarket kit and converter, but a TH350C CANNOT be tunred into a non lockup because it will burn up the transmission. So, long story short, as far as shift kits go, there's no difference between a TH350 and TH350c for the same year. IF you have access to the underside of the car, there will be a big, plastic plug on the trans towards the back I believe. That is for the lockup. If there is no plug in site, you have a normal TH350. Also if you are able to take the trans out, there is a large "C" cast into the transmission by the pump behind the converter.

RegMan79

Apprentice
Feb 23, 2016
Tucson, AZ
Ok, thanks. I'm asking cause the kit I'm looking at getting says it isn't for a lock up. Not sure what this car came with. I'll have to look under the car soon.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
My info might be a little off, as I haven't had but one TH350c cross my path in the past few years, so do some searching around.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Yeah, you should see a large electrical plug on the trans somewhere. If it's nowhere to be found, you have a normal TH350. The TH350c came out in 78 I believe with the downsized midsize cars like your monte. So its possible you do have one. Just look for the plug connection.

RegMan79

Apprentice
Feb 23, 2016
Tucson, AZ
Yeah, you should see a large electrical plug on the trans somewhere. If it's nowhere to be found, you have a normal TH350. The TH350c came out in 78 I believe with the downsized midsize cars like your monte. So its possible you do have one. Just look for the plug connection.

Thanks man I'll give her a look soon. I wonder if there's a kit for the C too...

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Should be kits, but less of a selection for factory lockup trans's.

monte olrac

G-Body Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Wichita damn Falls Tx.
the shift kit for the th350 IS NOT the same as a th350c, trasgo makes a kit for the th350c, about 54 bucks on summit

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor