TH350 shift governor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
OK, so my shift points are starting to drive me up the wall. After swapping i a set of 3.73s, my transmission shifts WAY to soon. I have read about those governor recalibration kits. But that just seems like to much tinkering. I was wondering if this would be possible. Just to go to a parts store, and order a governor from say an old nova (for example) that came with a V8, TH350, and gearing similar to mine?

I'm still running a stock engine/transmission, and it's a strreet car. So it doesn't have to be perfect. Would just be nice to be able to drive more that 15' before hitting 3rd lol.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
That's why I just manually shift mine

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
I take it you have either removed you detent cable or it is not properly adjusted. If it's still hooked up, you may just need to adjust it properly, so the car shifts at proper speeds. If you have removed it, you can get an adjustable modulator which will delay your shifts, any chain parts store would carry it, pretty much any that you would get, would be adjustable. That's the cheap easy route. Next would be a type of trans pack, requires pulling the valve body, removing a couple check balls, adding different springs, removing another, different spacer plate and gaskets. This method will give you a higher shift point, harsher/quicker shifts, and you'll get that nice little bark into second gear. It also allows you to shift down into first at any speed you choose. Beware of the input sprague on this though.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
patmckinneyracing said:
That's why I just manually shift mine

Would be nice if I had a floor shift. And manual shifting a granny stick isn't to much fun.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Oldsmoletick said:
I take it you have either removed you detent cable or it is not properly adjusted. If it's still hooked up, you may just need to adjust it properly, so the car shifts at proper speeds. If you have removed it, you can get an adjustable modulator which will delay your shifts, any chain parts store would carry it, pretty much any that you would get, would be adjustable. That's the cheap easy route. Next would be a type of trans pack, requires pulling the valve body, removing a couple check balls, adding different springs, removing another, different spacer plate and gaskets. This method will give you a higher shift point, harsher/quicker shifts, and you'll get that nice little bark into second gear. It also allows you to shift down into first at any speed you choose. Beware of the input sprague on this though.

No I haven't removed the cable, I did re-adjust it. But my problem is that I went from 2.sumthin highway gears to 3.73s with 24" tires. I want to do an adjustable modulator too, but those are only good for 3-4 mph difference in the shifts. And it need way more than that. I do plan to put a shift kit in it after winter too.

My WOT is good, it's just everything below about half throttle that sucks. I'll bet under light throttle (about as little as I can give it) it only takes about 15-20 feet and it's in drive. And at part throttle, it doesn't stay in 2nd long enough to even catch. If it hits 2nd at all.

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
I have the same problem. Just put in a B&M shift kit and 3.73 rear gears and using a stock TH350 trans. However I have a 2000 stall on the car so I'm thinking that's most likely the issue. I did buy an adjustable detent because all the aftermarkets suck.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
if you're SURE it's for a car with the right rear gear it's worth a shot. i don't see a reason why it wouldn't work. i think it's the same as putting a GN gov in a 200-4r

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Yeah that's what I was thinking. And since my gear and tire combo is about the same as an older muscle car with 4.11s, I just need to find something that was similar in weight and had a TH350. Was thinking something like a nova.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
id don't know about the 70's nova's, but they are known to be some of the lightest muscle cars, especially the chevy II. but a chevelle might be about right. or a late 70's malibu/monte carlo. the biggest prob is finding one with a 4:11 gear. at least the 350 was in friggin everything!!

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
ha my car does this same thing! It will shift into 3rd between 20-25 if I am just taking off normal. And I still have the stock highway gear in my car. I have been told that the shift improver kit will fix it so I just figured I would do that, I have done a couple of those so atleast I know I can do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor