Th350 Shift Kit Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
As I edge closer and closer to getting my Regal running again for the 3ndst time, I've been tossing around the idea of putting a shift kit into my Th350. I'm confident that the transmission is in good shape. It's never slipped, little to no debris in the pan when I got it or on the magnet, or after 2,000 miles of dicking around, fluid is still a nice red. Is it possible to get this thing to bark the tires on the 1-2 shift at WOT from a dead stop? What rpm does the governor typically limit WOT upshifts? I'd like it to in drive shift at 4500rpm if possible. Will a shift kit be ok with the stock 1200something rpm converter I have? It shifts fine now, if a little mushy, but all old TH350s I've driven shift like that that are stock. What kits do those of you that have done it recommend? Transmission is out of the car and will be during the kit installation. Any help is appreciated. Yes, I know this is going to be behind a 150hp stock 350 2 barrel, but I want to have it all ready and done up for my other 350 while I have the money to do so. No sense in putting a 350ish horse motor infront of a derpy stock Th350 is there? Again, any help and/or input is appreciated.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
https://m.summitracing.com/parts/trg-350-1-2?ibanner=MobileSwitchYes#
Everyone usually recommends this one. I would go for whatever the directions say for the firmest shifts, still won't be harsh, especially under normal throttle. I would say 4000 rpm should be stock shift points. Use one of these to raise shift points.
https://m.summitracing.com/parts/tci-326500
I don't know why I added the bit about raising the shift points. Don't write threads when you're tires I suppose. Thanks for the info. I've heard good things about that kit as well.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
The TransGo SK350 will do exactly what you want. Firm up shifts. It gives you manual down shift capabilities if you want to use em. It will chirp 2nd, with a healthy 350 it may chirp 3rd (with a 3 series gear). It comes with springs to install into the govenor to give you the ability to tune the up-shift points without grinding on the weights.

Bit of advice, I always stuck to the low-middle of the range when drilling the holes, because you can alway go larger...I always got the desired results with it.

Reactions: 1 user

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I've always used the B&M Trans Pac. NOT the cheap B&M shift improver kit. I made a mistake once and it really screetched the tires in 2nd and 3rd. It comes with heavy duty/towing or street strip option. I messed up while doing the street strip version and drilled a hole in the new plate. Drilling a hole was for heavy duty/towing. It shifted real hard and I loved it. I just did this last summer again to another turbo350 that I had rebuilt. Have not installed it in anything yet though. I like them to hit hard when I'm standing on it.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Google - (Should I install a shift kit) - I believe it's always good to install a shift kit, they usually come in three different stages. There is a negative to it, a lot of people like you want that good hard shift to bark the tires which leads to a weak link in the 350 - the intermediate roller clutch. If you want full out hard shifting, a wide direct clutch bushing and a hardened intermediate roller-clutch outer race should be installed. Best fix is B&M'S 36 element sprag assembly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor