Th350 wont go in drive?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gavlak412

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 25, 2013
I have a 1986 olds cutlass supreme. I pulled the car in, in drive. I did a 350 rocket swap i backed it out and it will not go in drive i have park reverse and neutral. But if u try to put it in drive it feels like your going to snap the shifter trying? Help?!(the car had a trashed 350 rocket in it when purchased)

MeanBuicks

Master Mechanic
Apr 1, 2014
Memphis, TN
First, get the car up on jackstands and disconnect the shift cable/linkage from the shift lever at the transmission. This should isolate the problem.

Now, can the shifter move its full range? If so, the problem likely lies with the trans. if not, work your way back from the underside of the car upward to see where it's binding.

If the shifter is fine, grab the lever on the trans (shifter still disconnected) and see if you can access all the ranges from Park to Low. If not, pull the pan to get a look inside at the shifting components in there.

Report back what you find and/or post pics of anything you're unsure of.

jmerc

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 10, 2009
Excellent advice already given. Also while cable is disconnected from the transmission check the pivot rod that goes into the bracket on the frame rail, they have a tendency to slip out or even bend when pulling a motor. Make sure it's in the slot and moves freely. Also check the knockdown cable to se that it's free and operale.

ADentice

Apprentice
Jul 25, 2014
Buffalo, NY
If you have headers, youre going to have to grind down the shift lever bracket until you can shift freely or see if you can get one from a different car. I had the same problem with mine and ended up grinding it down, then going to dealer and ordering the bracket. You can get it into drive this was but not second or first

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor