TH400 frustration

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluoFerret

Greasemonkey
Apr 2, 2018
Luxembourg
Sorry guys, I have to vent this now:

I just tried the 9th type of gasket on my TH400, and that damn thing still leaks between the pan and transmission-housing.

I even checked the joining surfaces with a straight-edge, checked the torque on the bolts many times and that damn thing still leaks.
I tried:
- rubber with steelcore
- cork
- neoprene
- silicone with aluminium core
- copper
- composite
- fiber

Now i will try one last thing: pull it all off, clean the surfaces (again) and put black liquid gasket on. can't be any worse than what i had now....

78Malibu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 8, 2018
If you put it on with "the right stuff" it will not leak but its a little tough to get back off again too bad the gasket won't seal....

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
Black "the right stuff" will work. You sure it's not leaking down from somewhere else and just looks like the pan?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I always run aluminum trans pans and mine have a flat sealing surface so I have always used Holymar blue sealant with a quality gasket and have never had leak issues in my 400 transmissions

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Any chance it is leaking at the dipstick/fill tube? I had a leak there fool me once.

• Agree

1 RARE T

Master Mechanic
Jul 14, 2015
You either have a pan that isn't as flat as it needs to be or excessive pressure blowing fluid out.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I never use gaskets dry. I don't care what type they are I always schmear some Ultra Black gasket sealer on every one. Not a lot, just enough to coat all surfaces. And be sure the surfaces are super clean- no oil. PS- when I was stationed in Germany in the 70's- Radio Luxembourg kept me sane.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
What pan? I had a Hughes pan leak no matter what I did to it on multiple tansmissions.

FluoFerret

Greasemonkey
Apr 2, 2018
Luxembourg
Any chance it is leaking at the dipstick/fill tube? I had a leak there fool me once.
i thought so too, but its dry there. it starts always somewhere around the pan.

You either have a pan that isn't as flat as it needs to be or excessive pressure blowing fluid out.
the pan is a cast aluminium deep pan made by B&M. i checked all the surfaces, they are all flat as they should be. excessive pressure would be a sign of overfilling, but the levels are just right, both hot and cold.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
i thought so too, but its dry there. it starts always somewhere around the pan.

the pan is a cast aluminium deep pan made by B&M. i checked all the surfaces, they are all flat as they should be. excessive pressure would be a sign of overfilling, but the levels are just right, both hot and cold.
Will the 4L80E gasket fit? I ask because I used the Delco gasket with the aluminum pan on my 4L80E. The Delco gasket was expensive but it seals with no sealer, at least it did for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor