HELP TH400 issues with the shift linkage. What do I miss here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluoFerret

Greasemonkey
Apr 2, 2018
Luxembourg
Feeling like a bloody noob right now, but I am having a hard time to get the TH400 in my Lemans hooked up correctly. I wish to use the OEM shift linkage principle to keep the reverse light switch on the steering column, as well as keeping the mechanical neutral safety.
The good news is: the shift pattern of the TH400 matches the original shifter. The bad news is... well, the linkage doesn't hook up on the bracket of the frame anymore. The geometry is misaligned. Have a look:

20200302_205655.jpg

The transmission sits exactly where it should, as it fits perfect on the mounts of the new crossmember, intended for the TH400 on a G-Body, as well as with the engine, sitting on the OEM Chevy V8 mounts.
If I remember correctly, there was a Buick V6 paired with a TH200C installed...

The questions haunting me now are:
1. Are there other frame brackets?
2. Will the one of a TH350 fit and solve this problem?
3. Do I need to make a custom one, and what issues will this create?

As always, any help will be much appreciated. Anybody who has parts for sale that could help here, please message me.

FluoFerret

Greasemonkey
Apr 2, 2018
Luxembourg
*UPDATE*
Well, since the eyelet of the pivot bracket is off by a few centimeters, I am now back to metal works, and I started to recreate a new pivot bracket by using a scrap one...

20200305_202609.jpg 20200305_202955.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
That’s the spirit! Make it work.

Techman

Apprentice
Jul 18, 2017
It shouldn’t be a problem. I have a 442 which I put a BBC and TH400 in. Linkage hooked up in OEM spot without issue. Something isn’t correct in your setup. One of the engine mount bolts hangs over the frame. You only utilize 3 of the 4 bolts for chevy engines.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY

How will those lines fit as far as header clearance ?
I had to reroute the brake line to make it higher on the cradle so it was further away from the tube. Same with the fuel line. Instead of hard line I had to run AN through the oval slot in the front of the frame. Of course I found this out AFTER the motor was back in the 81. Only good thing was I had the line for the wagon made the same way so I could put it in ahead of time.

IMG_0662.JPG

Techman

Apprentice
Jul 18, 2017
How will those lines fit as far as header clearance ?
I had to reroute the brake line to make it higher on the cradle so it was further away from the tube. Same with the fuel line. Instead of hard line I had to run AN through the oval slot in the front of the frame. Of course I found this out AFTER the motor was back in the 81. Only good thing was I had the line for the wagon made the same way so I could put it in ahead of time.

View attachment 138120
Mine had the olds motor so fuel lines were routed through the frame on the correct side. My headers were Dougs headers and I have maybe a 1/2” clearance on brake line. Not as much as I’d like.

Techman

Apprentice
Jul 18, 2017
It is close. But boiling point for dot 3 is 300-400 degrees. Doubtful the fluid gets that hot with a airgap between header and line. Even a small air gap.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

FluoFerret

Greasemonkey
Apr 2, 2018
Luxembourg
It shouldn’t be a problem. I have a 442 which I put a BBC and TH400 in. Linkage hooked up in OEM spot without issue. Something isn’t correct in your setup. One of the engine mount bolts hangs over the frame. You only utilize 3 of the 4 bolts for chevy engines.

Got the Chevy Small Block Gen1 installed ;) and it sits right where it is supposed to be.
=============================================
I believe I found the issue:
(please correct me if I am wrong)

The pivot bracket is the same for each and every G-Body.

The difference is the rod that goes from the transmission into this bracket. The one I have is for a TH200C, a transmission that sits a little further to the back. Here's a picture of the complete set.
shifter linkage.jpb.jpg

The one for a TH350 is apparently quite straight. Here's the picture I dug up for a shift linkage of a G-Body equipped with a TH350:
88306809_196482144953810_2542251594167091200_n.jpg
The fact that it is relatively straight, clears the position difference of the transmission to the pivot bracket.

Sooo, unless has and is willing to supply me with a suiting linkage rod, I will have to get back at the workbench for metalworks ^^
Yes, the last sentence was a question, a "pretty-please with corgi eyes"-one, since I am quite lazy right now :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor