TH400 Kickdown Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY

Thanks for taking the time to post that. I went to another yard today and found that bracket in a Caprice wagon. Still no switch but I can see a problem already. I pulled the whole assembly out including the pedal.
The Caprice pedal bends to the right and makes contact with the bar on the switch. The Malibu pedal goes up and to the left on a slight angle. Do you use the bracket with the Malibu pedal and mount the switch from the other side of the bracket ? Maybe cut the top flat piece of the bracket off for more clearance ? Using the Caprice pedal doesnt look like its going to work since the throttle cable is way over to the left.
I havent taken it out of the car yet due to getting involved with a ton of yard work as soon as I got home but I hope to be messing with it tomorrow or Monday.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
The Caprice pedal bends to the right and makes contact with the bar on the switch. The Malibu pedal goes up and to the left on a slight angle. Do you use the bracket with the Malibu pedal and mount the switch from the other side of the bracket ? Maybe cut the top flat piece of the bracket off for more clearance ? Using the Caprice pedal doesnt look like its going to work since the throttle cable is way over to the left.
Sorry, didn't catch that. I haven't actually done this mod but i think i have some t worked out for you. Here is a gas pedal bracket from a gbody with electronic cruise, '83 and up?,
20191103_154104.jpg
20191103_154126.jpg
20191103_154140.jpg
and mount your kick down switch to it. Here are some pics of a mock up. I don't have any early brackets to look at as my cars are in winter storage.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Sorry, didn't catch that. I haven't actually done this mod but i think i have some t worked out for you. Here is a gas pedal bracket from a gbody with electronic cruise, '83 and up?, View attachment 127574 View attachment 127575 View attachment 127576 and mount your kick down switch to it. Here are some pics of a mock up. I don't have any early brackets to look at as my cars are in winter storage.

This is what I grabbed out of the Caprice wagon. The cable end is on the wrong side. All of the brackets that I have from the other day are the same way. Just different lengths and shapes. Not going to work.
IMG_2596.JPG
IMG_2593.JPG

I need to check my garage attic tomorrow. I think my wagon had cruise but I dont remember for sure. I might have that cruise bracket in a box up there. If not, theres a Cutlass at the yard that Ive been picking stuff off of. It might have it.
Did you mount that switch on the bracket you posted or is that from the cruise ?
Sure looks like a TH400 kickdown.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
Did you mount that switch on the bracket you posted or is that from the cruise ?
Sure looks like a TH400 kickdown.
yes i mounted the th400 kick down switch to verify fitment. i just stripped a '80 olds 98 and had this laying around. thought it would make a nice nitros switch. its possible the non-electronic cruise gas pedal bracket may work but i don't have one handy to try out as my cars are in winter storage. maybe you or someone else have one to look at.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
yes i mounted the th400 kick down switch to verify fitment. i just stripped a '80 olds 98 and had this laying around. thought it would make a nice nitros switch. its possible the non-electronic cruise gas pedal bracket may work but i don't have one handy to try out as my cars are in winter storage. maybe you or someone else have one to look at.

Crap, what cars came with an electronic cruise control ? I can always hit the yards again tomorrow or Tuesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor