TH400 not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryebonti123

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 21, 2017
Hi everyone!

Backstory- i have an 86 regal limited. I pulled the drivetrain (307olds, 2004r, 256 non rear) and installed 383, th400, 373 posi.
The trans and motor have a fresh rebuild. Motor so far is running nicely. I finished the brake lines and went to go for the maiden voyage and... i have nothing from the trans.
Fluid is clean and when warm is at the right level. Linkage is correct. Pulled the dust cover to see the flywheel/ torque converter. I can see the output shaft on the trans turning. Its def an internal on the trans. Before i drop the pan is there any parts/ things i should look for? Common problems with the th400?
I had the trans sitting on a shelf for almost a year. It was wrapped- nothing got in it. Its outside of its warranty...
Thank you!

Attachments

• 20180326_184947.jpg
    20180326_184947.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 160

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'm glad it's that cause that's about all I know about automatic transmissions....:p

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
I worked at a transmission shop for almost 7 years and we never put fluid in a torque converter before installation.
We would put 4 or five quarts in and start it up . Adding fluid till the wheels would start spinning. Check fo leaks , drop it on the ground ,top it off and test drive. Never had any issues.
However , now I always put a couple quarts in the converter before putting it on the transmission before installing.
Just seems to make more sense. A turbo 400 with a stock pan will take 11-12 quarts and a deep pan an extra quart or so...timo22

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
timo22, is the 3 step procedure for torque converter common practice? I always thought that you just jammed it in there, and turned it until it clunked in. When I was putting the one back in the Pig recently, I was chatting with a friend on the phone that used to be a GM tech. He informed me that there are 3 small steps that need to be aligned, and sure enough, if done carefully, there are. Insert, turn until a little step/click in, turn, click, turn, click until fully seated. He said it would make problems if not done that way......

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor