The 1985 Firebird SE

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
So, the mini 'preview post I had going was locked out due to age/time inactivity.

*** notice, could use some known good 305 stuff. Preferably 1985****

I REALLY need this old car to see some progress, she's starting to go downhill :confused:

Because it was the car I was driving when the wife and I met, and we had so many dates, memories of having the seats all the way flat at nights in the parking lots..... well, it needs saying even as a fbody.

Anyways. Given my current condition, I'm going to try to teach my wife to do some stuff on this one. 69hurstolds had a very inspirational post on carb rebuild on the ccc stuff, but, I think that may be a bit beyond us at this point.

Initial inventory - very old gas, unsafe tires, sloppy front end, massive fuel leakage in carb, then plenty of cosmetic stuff and sorting out how the rings are in the engine itself. Expect slow progress, this one is trying to be done on a shoestring budget

Reactions: 4 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Dump the gas tank, make sure it's clean, rebuild the carb, and check the rings out and see where you're at. A lot of that can be done for peanuts and the price of a good carb kit.

Try and find a set of Thexton 362 tools for carb adjustments. You can ALWAYS sell them later to someone who needs them. But these tools are worth their weight in gold.

You can make a 1.304" lean stop gage from like 1/4" tubing.

4.5 turns CCW from lightly seated on the idle air bleed valve will get you in about the right place on the carb even if you don't have an IABV gage tool. If you have a shepard's hook gage, it's 1.756" pressed down on the MC Solenoid paddle to just touching the top of the IABV. But you'd still need to dial it in with the engine running anyway along with the idle mixture screws. Same as the TPS. Which for your 85 Firebird would be either 0.48 or 0.54 V setting depending on your carb number.

All that was, in case you wanted to know.

Reactions: 3 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Dump the gas tank, make sure it's clean, rebuild the carb, and check the rings out and see where you're at. A lot of that can be done for peanuts and the price of a good carb kit.

Try and find a set of Thexton 362 tools for carb adjustments. You can ALWAYS sell them later to someone who needs them. But these tools are worth their weight in gold.

You can make a 1.304" lean stop gage from like 1/4" tubing.

4.5 turns CCW from lightly seated on the idle air bleed valve will get you in about the right place on the carb even if you don't have an IABV gage tool. If you have a shepard's hook gage, it's 1.756" pressed down on the MC Solenoid paddle to just touching the top of the IABV. But you'd still need to dial it in with the engine running anyway along with the idle mixture screws. Same as the TPS. Which for your 85 Firebird would be either 0.48 or 0.54 V setting depending on your carb number.

All that was, in case you wanted to know.
I keep thinking about it, like I said, your thread was a good guide and excellent write-up.

Even found some NOS air horn assemblies and was poking around to look for NOS main body to get ahead of the game but... dunno.

Sold some junk in the last week that would give the missus a budget to work with in this thing, someone bought an old set of her used tires and a c10 front clip we chopped for a trailer.

If she just got it to the drivable status, even if not great, would be a major win. I expect the work will mostly fall to me, but, there's only so much I can attempt in the current state of things

Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Bought a set of 4 rollers with big TAs that hold air and have nominal tread (worn, but street legal) for the firebird for $50. Now I can take the century pace car rim off it.

Not the style I like, but, I figure at the price I can always flip them when I'm done using them as rollers.

Now, to find an affordable 4bbl for this thing that doesnt puke gas.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Considered rebuildable. But you know how that goes. 17085204, specifically for your car. 1985 F-body 305 w/Auto transmission. <$60 bucks plus open to offers.

Or if you have a manual transmission, you'd need a 17085207, as seen here for <$100 but open to offers. I'm assuming your car is 305 H and not 305 G. That would be carb 17085203 and I'm thinking that would sorta be kinda rare. But I'm not that familiar with F-body and 305s in general.

Rebuild kit can be had cheap as well. Unless you just wanted to make sure you got a good one, i.e., an AC Delco one. 17076043. Fits a wide variety of 305 4-bbl. $44.94 plus tax, and they too, are open for offers. So with some luck, carb cleaner, and some effort, for around $100 you can get a renewed carburetor ready for action.

I consider these cheap options to get something better than what you have (a gas puker) but again, roll of the dice. Unless there's some casting flaws or broken sh*t, I'd think there'd be some save-able pieces parts from your old carb enough to make one good one with one of the above options.

If you were looking for an NOS float bowl assembly, that would be p/n 17110899. The body and air horn on all three carbs above are the SAME. In fact, the ONLY parts found different between the 204 and 207 is the throttle plate assembly, probably more like the linkage arm due to being AT vs. MT. Plus the choke housing itself. Choke and cover kit is the same, though. So if you can save your choke housing and throttle plate, you could actually get by with using either carb 204 or 207.

The 207 and 203 carb differences are ONLY the primary rods/jets. This is according to parts info. Probably the secondary jets are different too on the 203 carbed L69 G engine.

Reactions: 2 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
What do you mean about your Qjet puking gas? You can have your original carb rebuilt by a good rebuilder such as Sean Murphy or Cliff Ruggles. Though the E4ME are not really hard to work on. Just need the special tools. You can pretty easily rebush the base plate with Teflon strips, only need to drill the step bore on the driver side a little deeper.

Big thing to remember is that CCC systems really hate vacuum leaks and upstream exhaust leaks.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
What do you mean about your Qjet puking gas? You can have your original carb rebuilt by a good rebuilder such as Sean Murphy or Cliff Ruggles. Though the E4ME are not really hard to work on. Just need the special tools. You can pretty easily rebush the base plate with Teflon strips, only need to drill the step bore on the driver side a little deeper.

Big thing to remember is that CCC systems really hate vacuum leaks and upstream exhaust leaks.
I mean that the intake manifold gets covered in gasoline with any run time, but, not from the fuel line or fuel inlet area itself.

I do recall about 15 years back in New Orleans it had an issue where one of the nipples that had the something attached to, a return line, a vacuum line, honestly can't really remember, did detach from the body. Looking at it it appeared to be a press-fit so I used a small tack hammer and put some rubber hose around the nipple and tapped on it until it was tight into the body again. It worked, but, it has had issues in the past clearly.

Stopped driving the car much a couple years after that when the rings wore down in the engjne. Ive since obtained a couple 305s one of which will go in as path of least resistance. So, in its current state I also need to do a carb for the car, sort out the rear brakes which don't currently work, recharge the A/C and anything else which I come across and doesn't seem quite right as I go through it.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Better find the reason you need to recharge the A/C or you'll waste your time recharging it. My bet is it's that R4 compressor front seal if it sits idle for that long. The shell o-rings are also prime culprits for leaking.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I mean that the intake manifold gets covered in gasoline with any run time, but, not from the fuel line or fuel inlet area itself.

I do recall about 15 years back in New Orleans it had an issue where one of the nipples that had the something attached to, a return line, a vacuum line, honestly can't really remember, did detach from the body. Looking at it it appeared to be a press-fit so I used a small tack hammer and put some rubber hose around the nipple and tapped on it until it was tight into the body again. It worked, but, it has had issues in the past clearly.

Stopped driving the car much a couple years after that when the rings wore down in the engjne. Ive since obtained a couple 305s one of which will go in as path of least resistance. So, in its current state I also need to do a carb for the car, sort out the rear brakes which don't currently work, recharge the A/C and anything else which I come across and doesn't seem quite right as I go through it.

May be the fuel bowl vent line to the EVAP system. If the carburetor is flooding the fuel can spill out the bowl vent.

The fuel return line only goes to the fuel pump. There is a vapor line that goes to the charcoal can from the gas tank which should not have liquid fuel in it.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Better find the reason you need to recharge the A/C or you'll waste your time recharging it. My bet is it's that R4 compressor front seal if it sits idle for that long. The shell o-rings are also prime culprits for leaking.
Yes, probably down on oil as well. Jump it at the switch, probably noisy as well. I am not a fan of the R4 compressor, saw many leak and fail over the years. It is best to send the original carb away, unless you want to gamble on a used one or eliminate the CCC with a new/used carb and vacuum advance distributor.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor