The $20 mystery Q-Jet (back to looking at it again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Now all the offending glue & gasket material has been removed. Looked over the carb section in a few of my servive manuals & found out whoever worked on it last didn't even put the power piston/primary metering rod group together correctly. The metering rods were on top of the main body/air horn gasket instead of being attached to the power piston. So I think I figured out what's needed is the rebuild kit, a choke unit, a corn friendly accelerator pump piston, & the lower choke rod lever.

Reactions: 2 users

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
the front looks to be 6IS
I've never seen a #61 metering rod but that doesn't mean they weren't used. That would be an incredibly lean one and the "S" would designate something else. Slow? Yuk yuk.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
OK, since I had both the Q-jet & Holley opened up to be checked out I decided to tackle the Holley first since I already had a Quick Fuel kit. So...it didn't have everything needed but yet it had things the Holley kit I got in today didn't & neither had the one pair I still need, the damn discharge nozzle gaskets. :doh:I thing they both are more for a 4165 than a 4175. Then looking at the quality of what I had on the carb & compairing to both kits, the originals where of a higher quality & I wish I didn't pull the base off the body for tht reason. Might redo that one with a coat of cherry Chapstick to keep it from sticking (old hot rodders trick.) But right now I have a 90% done carb until I get that pair of gaskets. It was so easy even an Army grunt can do it - me. Of course running good gas & keeping it in tune helped. Now get them ordered, a Q-jet kit, choke element & any other needed parts, see what jets I should put in the Q-jet other than the 75's so I can get that one done for a spare.

Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Found the missing gaskets collecting dust at the local autoparts & got them for a steal since they haven't been looked at other than for inventory so either I got free dust with them or paid for the dust & got them for free. Now the Holley is done, next to get that choke lever for the Q-jet & the rebuild kit to get that done.

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I've never seen a #61 metering rod but that doesn't mean they weren't used. That would be an incredibly lean one and the "S" would designate something else. Slow? Yuk yuk.

Carbs Unlimted's leanest rod they sell is a 54...I would like to see that 61 rod measured to make sure that number is right

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
The numbers are so hard to discern sometimes....even with a good magnifying glass. It seems like the numbers appear half worn.
I think my primary rods were like a 67...at least that's what it looks like. I also have DP secondary rods.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Totally disregarded this since August & never bother posting got the needed lower choke rod awhile back. Actually put it in today cause I didn't want to lose it. This was all from me wondering if my repop air cleaner base would clear everything on the air horn. It does fit perfect & don't need a spacer to work like th 4175 does. Other than the rod install it is still just waiting ti be put back together.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor