The $20 mystery Q-Jet (back to looking at it again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Didn't they switch from slotted screws to torx bit screws in the late 70's

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
What are you going to use it on? I remember those truck carbs being pretty lean.Remember they were trying to get away without using a CCC carb but emissions were catching up.

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I believe so. It looks like a rebuilders carb, must of had a deal on flat head screws for stock.

What are you going to use it on? I remember those truck carbs being pretty lean.Remember they were trying to get away without using a CCC carb but emissions were catching up.
It might go onto my L48 with an Eldelbrock 2102 cam. If not, it is really just a core I could use for another one. But as I noted earlier I have my 4175 that I have to rebuild since I haven't used it since 2010 that is the main carb I'll be looking at using.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I believe so. It looks like a rebuilders carb, must of had a deal on flat head screws for stock.

It might go onto my L48 with an Eldelbrock 2102 cam. If not, it is really just a core I could use for another one. But as I noted earlier I have my 4175 that I have to rebuild since I haven't used it since 2010 that is the main carb I'll be looking at using.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
I have no idea why someone would grind off the code. But since it is I would just use that quadrajet for parts.

Rebuilders do it so they do not get them back from customers saying its the wrong carb cause the numbers don't match

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
A little late on posting this but it is a '85 truck Q-Jet in its original form, but still don't know how it was rebuilt/what was put in it. The plus side is I have a Q-Jet for rebuilding or use as a core. Down side I have another carb that needs rebuilt. I'll just have to figure out what to put in it. Still have the Holley 4175 that I bought new 19 years ago that I was planning to use in the first place & already have a rebuild kit for it. Just see which one to take on first.

Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I would use the body with the number removed for parts and use them on the other quadrajets you have to rebuild.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor