The $89 Welder From Harbor Freight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I just bought this today and so I figured I would write a review. For $89 with a coupon in the Sunday newspaper ($109 without, and $149 when it goes off special later this month), I got Harbor Freight's "Chicago Electric" 90 amp, 110 volt flux core welder. It comes complete with a 2lb spool of flux core wire, a face shield, a multipurpose wrench and everything you would need to do some basic welding on sheet metal. For $30 more, you can get a 2 year warranty that covers anything you can do to ruin it, even dropping the unit. They will just give you a new one if you bring in your old one according to the guy at the counter. I didn't have the extra cash, so I will think about it as I have 30 days to buy the warranty. As for the unit itself, it seems OK, but the face shield is not something I would recommend using as is. The glass is not mounted solidly to the mask, and so light could seep through around the edges and damage your eyes. If I was going to use it, I would use electrical tape to seal the glass on the inside to the mask to prevent this from happening. I will probably use another mask I have which is a bit more sturdy instead. I have not had a chance to weld with it yet, but plan on trying the unit out tomorrow and will post my results. My thought is that this is perfectly fine for sheet metal work like rust patches, but not adequate for things that are structural and built out of thicker materials. I am also the world's biggest booger welder, so your results may be better than mine.

l_8ab9469744ff4882adb281fc2ed38af0.jpg

l_0124ffe2aacc41878ec2ef2daca6a887.jpg

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Does it have the option of converting it to MIG? You can get alot of practice using it and then later upgrading to something more powerful if you choose. Can't beat the price. :wink:

bowtietillidie85SS

Greasemonkey
Mar 26, 2010
Jackson Ms
I believe i am going friday to purchase the one step up from that one that does have mig for 175.99 normally 250 ish i believe. Let us know how well it works, very eager to hear. :D

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Sadly it does not have a MIG conversion option, but it wasn't a very big concern for me either. I have to weld in a patch to hold the battery in my AMC Spirit project, and thus it does not have to be very pretty. I have an older Craftsman MIG that doesn't work and needs a circuit board, but the board was more expensive than the whole cheap welder from Harbor Freight! Plus, this little thing really doesn't put down enough heat to weld thicker materials so the lack of MIG is fine for me. I also talked to a friend of mine who tried the flux wire in his MIG and said it welded sheetmetal better than it did using gas and solid core wire. He's a better welder than I, so I tend to take his advice.

Another piece of advice I can give the first timer is to weld in bright daylight. Why? well, it will close your pupils up pretty tight and adjust your eyes for bright light. If you do accidentally look at the arc (and you will), it will probably be less likely to do damage than if you were doing it in a dark room. Plus, if it is really bright out, you can see the work surface through the lens of the mask before you strike an arc. If you must weld in a dark place, consider an auto darkening helmet. Remember that the old cars we play with can be replaced, but as of now, science can't replace your eyes. Protect your eyes (and ears for that matter!) above all else.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
Another piece of advice I can give the first timer is to weld in bright daylight. Why? well, it will close your pupils up pretty tight and adjust your eyes for bright light. If you do accidentally look at the arc (and you will), it will probably be less likely to do damage than if you were doing it in a dark room. Plus, if it is really bright out, you can see the work surface through the lens of the mask before you strike an arc. If you must weld in a dark place, consider an auto darkening helmet. Remember that the old cars we play with can be replaced, but as of now, science can't replace your eyes. Protect your eyes (and ears for that matter!) above all else.

I don't know how many times I have looked at the arc (just yesterday actually), and somehow still don't need glasses :lol:

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
dan2286 said:

I don't know how many times I have looked at the arc (just yesterday actually), and somehow still don't need glasses :lol:
Well, glasses won't cure what can happen. It will burn out your retina and leave a permanent dark spot in the middle of your field of vision.

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
dan2286 said:

Ermmm... dude, you won't notice anything right now. Damage to your retina now, minor as it may seem at the moment, will cause problems years later.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
That is a decent welder to learn on/ play with. I keep my first HF unit for certain jobs that it is suited for. But I would spend the cash and get the self-darkening mask that is usually on sale for $40-$50. I can't weld without it now, and it's just a cheapee. A really good one ($100+) has a lithium battery that will keep the mask dark even if the solar cell gets blocked. I learned this the hard way while welding under the wheelwells. The mask was not seeing sun, and I was seeing arc! Not good.

Bumpin1ohmSS

Royal Smart Person
Jun 17, 2008
Cali to Az
I was just up at HF getting some stuff and took a look at those. I thought it would be a great "starter" welder for me to learn on. Cant wait to hear what you have to say about it.

Warren 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor