• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dapper442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 12, 2016
South Jersey
About a month ago I finally bought my first G-Body, this 1987 Oldsmobile Cutlass 442. Its been over a decade of waiting since I've wanted one since high school, but the wait is over. Now to begin the long process of turning it into something I can really call my own. The paint is in rough shape, and the car was absolutely filthy inside and out hence the name Blue Pig. But there was very little rust and its mechanically in pretty good shape. I have done a heavy cleaning on the interior and put tires on it, as the ones that were on the car were extremely dry rotted. And have began sanding down sections of the old peeling faded paint and respraying it with primer. Rattle can primer and I do not seem to get along so I will be picking up a spray gun and learning to do it the right way. Hope to start tackling the suspension soon as well.

Attachments

• Blue Pig 001.jpg
    Blue Pig 001.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 391
  • Blue Pig 002.jpg
    Blue Pig 002.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 359
  • Blue Pig 003.jpg
    Blue Pig 003.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 354
  • Blue Pig 004.jpg
    Blue Pig 004.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 361
  • Blue Pig 005.jpg
    Blue Pig 005.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 308
Reactions: 3 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Cool car! Looks really solid. Welcome to the site from Houston.

Reactions: 1 user

theoldsone

G-Body Guru
Dec 26, 2014
Nice car. Slowly but surely progress will happen if you put enough effort into it.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
welcome to the site! looks like you've got a good base to start with!

Dapper442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 12, 2016
South Jersey
Picked up all new V Belts today, yawn. A boring but necessary purchase. Hopefully I will have my drop springs and Bilstein shocks ordered at the end of the month after my next paycheck. And once the weather gets below the 90s I'll be able to get out and do some more sanding a priming. This time with a proper spray gun. I'll be sure to get some pictures when I do and keep everyone posted on the progress.

Dapper442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 12, 2016
South Jersey
BMR lowering springs, and Bilstein AK series shocks are finally ordered. Now all I need is some cooler dry weather so I can do some wrenching on it.

• Agree

Dapper442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 12, 2016
South Jersey
After two days of wrenching my springs and shocks are in. The BMR springs and Bilstein shocks provide a great ride. The BMR front springs were a nightmare to install, the springs had to be compressed just right to get them sit into the lower control arm correctly but we got it done. The rears on the other hand were almost effortless. Love the drop in ride height and ride so the hard work was worth it.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 237
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 268
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 236
Reactions: 3 users

theoldsone

G-Body Guru
Dec 26, 2014
Nice drop. how many inches does the spring drop it? Definitely worth the hard work. You plan on putting drop spindles?

Dapper442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 12, 2016
South Jersey
Nice drop. how many inches does the spring drop it? Definitely worth the hard work. You plan on putting drop spindles?
Thanks. The car was lowered 1.5 inches. The front end sits ever so slightly higher than the rear, which was even worse before I lowered it. I had hoped the old rear springs just had more sag in them and the new ones would compensate for that which they did to an extent, but it's not too noticeable. Down the road I may also add drop spindles to get a little lower in the front and really give it that old school NASCAR stance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor