The Blue Rajah/The Cheap b*st*rd - anti-project updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

King_V

Master Mechanic
Jul 17, 2013
Sicklerville, NJ
Continuing the story that began in this thread (I am no longer authorized to reply to it? Maybe because it's an old thread?)

Yes, I'm lazy. Yes, I'm a procrastinator. There, I said it.

However, there are some updates, and a notable improvement at the very end.

I guess I didn't want to admit that such a low mileage carburetor could've gotten something funky in it, so I changed everything else.

Thus far:
  • New speedometer cable
  • Replace charcoal canister with junkyard unit - now it doesn't stink like gas under the hood (thanks 81Regal)
  • Replace all rubber fuel lines
  • Replace all rubber vacuum lines
  • Replace fuel pump (new Carter unit)
  • Replace carburetor with junkyard unit (thanks again 81Regal)
I admit it, most of the previous work was me just hoping that the carburetor wasn't the issue (well, also precautionary . . but there was wishful thinking in the mix). So, I was looking at the junkyard carb. Crusty. Unknown mileage. Unknown amount of time sitting. Externally, mine looked better/cleaner. I figured it would at best be "good enough" until I got my original rebuilt.

It was 70 degrees out last Sunday, in New Jersey. I had ZERO excuse for further procrastination.

I tweaked the idle speed and mixture, and I was fussy about it, spent more time adjusting than I did actually replacing it. I'm still fussy, I want to fine tune it a little more.

Previously, idle was a mess, all over the place, very unsteady, and a struggle to prevent it from dying. Vacuum at best was about 13-14 in Hg.

With this "crusty" carburetor, the idle is butter smooth, and the vacuum gauge reads a rock-solid 19 in Hg idling in park, hot. The needle doesn't twitch or vibrate at all. The car drives BEAUTIFULLY now, and at a light, not the slightest twitch or shake when stopped and in gear. I don't think I'll get the original rebuilt, except maybe as a learning experience to teach myself to rebuild it. I really didn't expect the junkyard carb to be near perfect.

I've driven the car back and forth to work twice. I'll probably do a bit more commuting with it, go through a tank or two of gas, to see if there's any changes in fuel economy - I figure on maybe a marginal improvement as the times I'm idling or at very low speed, I won't have to keep playing with the throttle, and smelling that stink of too much gas in between bursts of not enough gas.

Next up:
  • basic tune up (though now it feels like it doesn't need it)
  • cleaner to help get out any carbon deposits (thoughts/recommendations? I've heard of something about using "seafoam through a vacuum line into the intake" but that doesn't sound right to me)
  • take care of surface rust (yeah, two years of sitting outside, and the peeling paint has transformed into gobs of surface rust)

As to the cleaning out part - I've heard that using the Lucas fuel additive does a pretty good job gradually clean stuff up - I'm not all that concerned with the carburetor, but more on whether there's deposits in the cylinders, heads, etc from the incredibly irregular fuel mixture that was going on with the bad carb. Also, it does ping on hard throttle, though that might just be a tuneup, and maybe clean the EGR passages?

But, I read something about using Seafoam and having it sucked in through a vacuum line. That doesn't entirely sound safe to me. Has anyone else heard of this?

Surface rust - ok, some time back, Hot Rod tested a few rust removers, and one is Rust-B-Gone (at the time of the article, called Rust-Eze). I'm going to try it, but I also understand it'll denature any paint it touches. I assume it'll remove primer, too.

But, to prevent further rust, I was told once (long ago) not to use primer, but instead "primer-sealer" since ordinary primer will absorb moisture rather than repel it, whereas primer-sealer will apparently keep moisture out.

I know NOTHING about any of this - is primer-sealer hard to get? Everything I've seen in the parts stores is just called "primer" and that's it. This is completely unknown territory for me, so any guidance in this department would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
I've done the seafoam treatment plenty of times, and if it doesn't draw it in too quickly, you'll have no problems... I usually use one of the small lines below the throttle plate, let the engine idle, and draw in about half the can, shut it off and let it soak into the carbon for about 10 minutes or so, the fire it back up, let it draw in the rest of the can, reset vac line and drive it for a few miles with a few passing gear kickdowns.... I should warn you to do this outside, as there'll be ALOT of smoke coming out of the exhaust!

does sound like you were getting alot of bypassed air through the old carb, probably around the throttle shaft, and maybe a warped base plate... sounds like you got the needle in the haystack when it comes to the junkyard carb!

someone else will probably chime in about the paint questions, I don't have much experience in that department, and would hate to steer you wrong, but I do know that there is a difference between primer and sealer primer...

HTH,
Darin

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor