The Bronze Brick a Very Unusual 9C1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Hey Bob! I think PM's are called 'conversations' now...
I think the last time we conversed about the Summer Nat's, I was unaware that they had changed the venue to Milwaukee...
I assumed you were talking about coming to St. Paul, since that is where it had always been.
They still have a show here in MN that same weekend, except it's called the o'riely auto parts street machine nationals now...
None of my junk is roadworthy enough to make it worth the effort to get to Milwaukee... lol

We'll have to see where next years' power tour route ends up, my wagon should be done by then and it'd be fun to hit the road a bit! :banana:

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Good Morning Blake & all; So you were behind the curve on the Nat's location? I've sent my fee in weeks ago, for Milwaukee! Now I've got a co-pilot for Friday & maybe Saturday, not Sunday yet. But My car will seat up to 4. If you're so inclined, drive your DD (daily driver) down for the week-end stay here, share the gas cost and go with me & my Buddie.
Well the new lower arms are on & the 255/60-15 MT DOT streets. WOW what a difference, the steering is Way tight, No slop! The (WAY) old 245/60-15 Goodyear GT+2 with a 220 wear rating, must of hardened up to a 440 or harder as I could spin them at 45 50 MPH. And even my old BFG drag radials would spin at 45 MPH. NO more spinning the tires, these MT's hook!
You guys will like this, last Friday I had my 92 year ol'e dad was with me as I pulled out on the by pass. I turned into the near lane (like the law says) and a fancy Harley goes to the far lane trying to go around me on the outside. So here are two gray haired old guys in a Bronze Brick & a custom Harley head to head, what do you think I did?? More later Bob Jr.

Last edited:

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings Guys; Ya I hammered it, he was coming up through the gears as the Brick had already shifted to second. I was going too fast for a down shift so he caught me at the bottom of second gear. Well he pulled ahead by a bike wheel before the Bronze Brick got back into the power band & then it was all over for him as the Brick just powered away. By the time the trans hit third (6500 RPM) about a buck ten he was 2-3 car lengths back. It seemed like a quick HD, maybe a high 12's? I don't think a stock Harley can do a high 12? Please keep in mind that this is a 4 lane by bass with little traffic as we came to one of the two stop & go lights. Anyway I didn't think he would go again from a dead stop, so I wasn't ready to go full blast on green as we rolled out. Well as soon as he got moving he went full on, but this time the trans was still in first & I jumped on it, race over for Mr. HD. When the trans hit second (6500) about 55 MPH I was well ahead & lifted soon after around 65 MPH. Great fun, gets the heart beating & I think Pa got a kick out of the contest too
IMG_0761.JPG
IMG_0630.JPG

Well I'll see ya in Milwaukee Friday & Saturday. If your inclined stop & say Hi, I'll be near the auto X area. Bob Jr.

Reactions: 1 users

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings Guys; What a week-end. Well my new tires (MT ET Streets) are for sale, Fantastic traction! I still find it hard to comprehend the difference (BFG DOT slicks & my ole Goodyear GT's w/220 UTQG rating), but the diameter is just TOo tall for my car. And they work so WELL in the rain, unbelievable. We came home through a rain storm that was keeping 3/4 to an inch of rain on the road the whole trip (60+miles) an hour & a half. Cars were pulled over because their tires were (?) or they couldn't see (visibility 40-45 yards) or my buddy said many were just plain scared! I ran about 35 to 45 MPH, but every big wind gust would move the back end of the car a few inches, a lot like driving on ice. Keep in mind that I'm the guy that's use to spinning the OLD tires at 45-50 on the 1-2 shift, so I'm pretty use to the back end squirmin around. Funny thing though my fore arms were sore the next couple of days, so I must of had serious hold of the wheel! Anyway ran the Auto X only twice Friday, first run was a bust & second run was an OK 34.935. The fastest (trailered? Auto X car ran a 30.??). And the slowest I seen was a low 50.??, lots of 40 second cars, so as the timing lady said my 34.9 was a good run. But with the tires being so tall (weight shifted to front wheels, BAD) & traction SOOoo GOod the car wouldn't slide, it would just lay over. On the high side over half the cars never got into the 34 second range. A little disappointed, I wanted to be in the quickest 1/3 not the quickest 1/2! Anyway great fun, got the heart beat'in & thanks for look'in, Bob Jr.
Ps: Another A-G car with OE paint, one year older than mine & the First Super (muscle) Car, they were Rockets in their day!

Attachments

• IMG_0874.JPG
    IMG_0874.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 334
  • IMG_0873.JPG
    IMG_0873.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 308
  • IMG_0885.JPG
    IMG_0885.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 322
  • IMG_0923.JPG
    IMG_0923.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 387
  • IMG_0927.JPG
    IMG_0927.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 320
Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Bob,

I really like the new painted tucked bumpers. Modernizes the Brick very nicely. It's come a long way from the cop car hub cap days. Nice!

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings Mr SSN696 & all; Thank you for the complement. I also feel that the bumper covers modernize the look, but the real benefit is the weight savings. And maybe a little less aero drag too. Well I went to the Holden (GTO, G8 SS Chevy) event yesterday only to find out it was Saturday. Senior moment. There were still a few partyers, hanging around so we ate my cheese tray and enjoyed LDS (Liquid Distiled Spirits) & of course jaw bones automobiles. And today I conclude another lap around the sun. I stored the Bronze Brick after the Car Craft Nat's at my buddies place as I need the hobby shop for painting my spare GuTOo wheels & his 1950 Chevy interior trim. So keep in mind that it's still for sale, a lot of new parts. A little over $40 grand sitt'in on those 4 tires. As summer winds down I'll have to post a new for sale thread. June marked 7 years that I have been looking for a new owner to carry this out of the ordinary automobile into the future. But at this point I've started to rethink selling it, as the old body doesn't bend as well as it use too. And getting in & out is a lot easer than getting in & out of the GuTOo. Oh, I should mention that the AC still works very well if the car is moving, but in city traffic a newer car with modern AC just works better. Probably the radiator has loss some efficiency dissipating heat as it dates to around 1990. Later Bob Jr.

Last edited:

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings Guys; It's been a poor car summer for me, storing the Brick in mid July & driving the GuTOo very little. As the county tared & pea graveled my road July 20th & I can't go over 10-15 MPH or the rockers will get blasted with stones. The down side of running soft tires. Oh I should mention that the wife remodeled the kitchen & that took nearly every minute of my time this summer. So a few of us guys are planing a trip to the Byron drag strip Saturday 24th. I've made plans to get the Bronze Brick out of storage for a couple of passed And return it home for winter so I can clean it up from the Car Craft Nat's & two future passes down the strip. It dawned on me the reason the car doesn't like traffic jams on HOT summer days, is the under-drive crank pulley. I may consider getting a standard size pulley. So now you guys that keep up with my posts are asking yourself, "why doesn't Bob just put the OE pulley back on" you know I got it, right? Well it took me about 8 (1986) years to figure out why I burnt up the alternator & AC compressor seals. It's a cop car (9C1) so it had a overdrive (?) pulley from the factory. Does anyone know what diameter stock 3 groove OE crank pulley is?? Thanks Bob Jr.

Last edited:

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings Guys: Well I didn't make the drag strip, life & LMA (late middle age) got in the way. But I did get it home so I've driven it 2 or 3 times since. As winter gets closer, maybe once more before I jack it up. I see my for sale post is gone, first it got reshuffled & ended up in parts for sale. Then do to my poor computer skills I did NOT know how to move it, so it just kinda disappeared after page 15 +. So any that remember the last asking price (?) I'll honor it, give or take what might go with it. But when & if I repost it in the NEW section "cars for sale" the price will go up. I just can't say enough about the steering since the full Global West, Tommy Lee & Borgeson updates. And then only getting to drive it a few times this summer. Just wasn't a good car year.
Now the question for this winter, will I spend more $$$ & up grade something. You know I have the affliction (can't stop making it a better turner, stopper, faster, quicker, goer, more comfortable & better gas mileage). Opinions welcome for next up grade. How can I justify a Gear Vendors unit when I only drive it a few hundred miles a year? Or I hate the tire selection for 15 inch Wheels. Supper hard all season (I call'em Badweek, FireRock & BSh_tG _tA junk) or drag DOT's, nothing in between. This will give us something to jaw bone about until January. Take care Bob Jr.
Ps: I was cleaning the garage & came across my OE air cleaner that I had added a second inlet horn to. For an instant I thought about selling it. I'll try to remember to take picture & post it before I put it away.

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings Guys; I was trying to help out another member when the Brick got a question or two. So I thought this would be a better place to answer. I sometimes mix up my old for sale post & this one as the FS post had SsOoo much info I hate to repeat myself & bore you to death. My first job (1961or 62) was at Burtness Chevy Orfordville washing cars of course. The owner was a great guy & later I dated his daughter. Anyway he had sold the dealership days or weeks before I went to order the 9C1. As I walked out the door he walked in we greeted each other, he asked what I was up to. I said that the new owner wouldn't order me a new car, my feathers were already ruffled & he was taken back a bunch. Oh Car & Driver had just sent to my door days before (mentioned previously) the issue with a 9C1 Quick Take. I was 33 then & had some previous unit-bodys, two Camaro's (previously mentioned) & a 75 Monza V-8 (262) 4 gear posi of course. So I was done with cars without frames & I needed a bigger back seat. Off to another dealership, I always tried to pick the worst , coldest, nastiest, snowiest day to order a new car. As I walked in, snow storm raging (no other customers) the place was dead. The owner (very small dealership) greeted me, I told him what I wanted, he said sure no problem. I think that was February 1st. Then a letter from GM weeks later, CAN'T put a 4 speed manual behind a LM1 (350 JOKE). OK I'll take the auto trans, not knowing that I'd get a TH350 at the time. A few weeks later another letter from GM Can't put bucket seats in without $400 trim package & the bucket seats were $80. So do I want GM trim, I hate tack on s__t (brown soft smelly stuff), dirt & salt get trapped behind it & added weight I don't want for $400. Keep your damn cheap *ss bucket seats GM, as Recaro seats were all the rage then. So I kept the $480 dollars & added another $500+ sending for the Recaro's before the car even arrived at the dealership. It finally arrived Aug 1st. I only drove it a few miles that day as I dropped at Ziebart on the way home. It remained stock for about 6 or 7 months, it sure was a pig & that was a fast car for the day! Lots of trouble with the full sintered iron brakes. On one many trips for warranty work the zone manager caught up with me. He was just short of pissed off, as he made some comment about the fact I shouldn't have this car. The owner that had sold it to me had moved on to purchase one of the BIG dealerships in Chicago. The new owner may have caught some of that brown soft smelly stuff. I always wondered if the owner that sold it to me got any flack. Later Bob Jr.

Reactions: 1 user

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
Why did the manager say you "shouldn't have that car"? If you can order it through GM, what's the problem? And you said you found out about it through a magazine article which means other people had ordered similarly equipped cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor