The Bronze Brick a Very Unusual 9C1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
9C1 package was SUPPOSED to be available to law enforcement/civil service (FD) agencies only

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Pontiac corrected this problem when they offered the G8 GXP package which romps on the PPV package. If I wrap it around a pole, I will buy back the car and move the drivetrain to the coupe...or the wagon!

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings Guys; Opie are you related to Evil?
Why did the manager say you "shouldn't have that car"? If you can order it through GM, what's the problem? And you said you found out about it through a magazine article which means other people had ordered similarly equipped cars.
#6Ribbedroof, Monday at 5:14 PM said "vanrah, I probably missed it somewhere, but how did you manage to order a 9C1, which was supposed to be restricted to LE agencies?
I've personally only seen one coupe Malibu in police service. My father worked for the Iowa Highway Patrol (as it was called then), and one of the LTs had a red coupe as an unmarked unit. People were very surprised when the "fog" lamps on the bumper lit up red behind them. Pretty sneaky, as they added wire wheel covers to complete the illusion. Don't know if it was actually a 9C1, or an off-the-lot coupe." Mr Ribbed Roof hopefully has answered your question.
Oh & other people ordering 9C1's back in the late 70's & early 80's, NOT VERY many 2 doors, four doors can still be found. Know I'm curious did GM make more GNX's (around 530?) or 9C1 TWO door "G" bodies?? I think I'll have to start a new thread, who has the Most exclusive two door "G" body.
And Mr SSn696 tossed in another .02 cents for ya (previous post). Now days a 2 (two) door cop car doesn't exist that I know of. So if you wanted a 4 door 9C3 (new code?) PPV (Police Pursuit Vehicle) new, I'm guess'in that you won't get one. I know of only one person that has purchased one new, but it had been on a dealer lot for over a year & a half. The dealer had to get permission from GM to sell it to a civilian. And it's a sleeper, basically a 4 door modern GTO (Zetta platform?) as is the G-8's, Camaro's (2015 last year, 16's are on smaller platform) and the new Chevy SS. They're all Holden's made on the other side of the planet. Soon to be discontinued.
I just realized that most of the pictures I posted were attached to my For Sale post & have since disappeared. I'll get some more pictures up here later. As I'm going to fire it for the last time this season, drain the carb & oil the top end for winter storage. I'll jack it up to relax the suspension & keep the tires round. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to relax the valves this year, & I should. Later Bob Jr.

Attachments

• 14-05-59.JPG
    14-05-59.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 275

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Does anyone know what diameter stock 3 groove OE crank pulley is?? Thanks Bob Jr.
=================================================================

Bob,
I recall that you asked this question the other day.
I measured a few of my old three groove stock pulleys earlier, they measure 7 3/4" in diameter.

Last edited:

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
I guess you could say that I'm related to Evel in spirit though not blood related as far as I know. I got that nickname in my dirt bike riding years as a teenager.
I had seen your car on here before but never took the time to read and find out what was so "unusual" about it. After reading this thread I have to say you've got a really cool car. It would be nice to know the actual production numbers of 2 door 9C1 cars. I know I've never seen one. I think it's awesome that you ordered it from the factory and have been driving and modifying it ever since. If I were you, I don't think I could sell it. It just seems like one of those things that you'd regret later but that's just my opinion. I have a bad habit of getting attached to cars.

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Happy Thanksgiving Guys; Thank you Long Roof, that 7 3/4 diameter confirms two other sources. I haven't dug mine out, I should, it's in a box on a shelf somewhere! I have a feeling that it's larger, but maybe I'm remembering the water pump pulley that seemed odd (9C1-Unusual). The pulley I have been running since around 1987-88 is a Auto Spec billet steel 5.75 diameter. Around here it works prefect, but on the various Power Tour traffic jams & city driving not so good. Another thing I should change, these cars are never DONE. I see March makes a 7 inch 3 groove for a $106 And I have to address the new TOO Tall tire issue.
Opie, thank you for the kind words & yes I'm sure that I'll regret selling it. But at my age it's time as I don't have the strength, stamina & funds to do this much longer. I've been picky about who I sell it to, therefore I still have it. The last guy that came close (a few dollars difference) was a cop & he wasn't the right guy for this car? And the few guys that I would of or will sell to haven't made me the right offer yet, maybe never?
I fired it up yesterday for the last time this season running the carb out of fuel. Squirted a couple of ounces of Mystery oil down the carb while the wife was on the key turn'in the engine, Ignition off of course (I have separate switch for ignition). Jacked it up & started cleaning it. If I get the energy I'm pulling the valve covers & relaxing the the valves this year as last year I just turned the engine over 90 degrees every 3 weeks. I'll be able to inspect the new outer springs, two summers & about a 1000 miles since I had them off. Kind of a bummer that all that info & pictures is gone with my old for sale post. Eat well, Bob Jr.
Ps: Just for giggles check out the grill lights in some of my past rides.

Attachments

• 1972 Sub rf.jpg
    1972 Sub rf.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 272
  • 1975 Monza.jpg
    1975 Monza.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 270
  • 1987 Dodge.jpg
    1987 Dodge.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 275
  • 14-05-43.JPG
    14-05-43.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 283
Reactions: 1 user

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
Happy Thanksgiving to you too. I'm not having a very good day because my hand has been numb all day. I'm hoping it returns to normal so that I can go to work tomorrow. I was gonna work today to make some extra money but that's been shot to hell...
Anyways, I know what you mean about finding the right buyer. When you've put a lot of time, money and work into a car, it becomes part of you. You don't wanna sell it to just anyone. You want to make sure the new owner "gets" the car. You want to make sure that they'll respect it and not ruin it. If I had the finances I'd love to take over The Brick for you.
I can't wait to get started fixing up my '86 Monte Carlo. Right now it's pulling daily driver duty with a stock 4.3.

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings Vaughn & all; You are of course asking about the dam below & behind the front bumper area? That little 5" x 40+ inch piece of plastic? I couldn't find anything on the build sheet describing it as any thing special. I was under the impression that all "G" cars had one as I (think) I remember my buddies F-41 305 V-8 having the same dam. Maybe it was just a V-8 thing. If ya need a part # I'll get on the floor & take a look for it. Since the car is on stands that won't be too tough. Bob Jr.

Vaughn3031

Greasemonkey
Jul 23, 2013
Sarnia, ontario
Greetings Vaughn & all; You are of course asking about the dam below & behind the front bumper area? That little 5" x 40+ inch piece of plastic? I couldn't find anything on the build sheet describing it as any thing special. I was under the impression that all "G" cars had one as I (think) I remember my buddies F-41 305 V-8 having the same dam. Maybe it was just a V-8 thing. If ya need a part # I'll get on the floor & take a look for it. Since the car is on stands that won't be too tough. Bob Jr.
They do all have one, just the one i have on my malibu (1980 base model v8) is much smaller, and was just curious which one this was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor