The Bronze Brick a Very Unusual 9C1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Good Morning Vaughn & all; Yes I'll sell the wheels without the tires as they are just protecting the wheels now. I had all ways thought that a Buick guy would buy the wheels as they are so similar to the T Type found on 86 87 turbo cars. I would like a $100 in my pocket, you pay the shipping, I'll pay to remove the tires & make boxes. Unless your coming down for Car Craft Nat's, then I could just bring them to you. Thanks for the interest, Bob Jr.

Vaughn3031

Greasemonkey
Jul 23, 2013
Sarnia, ontario
Good Morning Vaughn & all; Yes I'll sell the wheels without the tires as they are just protecting the wheels now. I had all ways thought that a Buick guy would buy the wheels as they are so similar to the T Type found on 86 87 turbo cars. I would like a $100 in my pocket, you pay the shipping, I'll pay to remove the tires & make boxes. Unless your coming down for Car Craft Nat's, then I could just bring them to you. Thanks for the interest, Bob Jr.
Pm sent

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings Guys; You may have noticed that I haven't posted much this year. Pa fell in February & passed in early June after another fall. He made 93 years so we celebrated his life. Still got LOTs of paper work ahead & clean up.
Still on track for Car Craft Nat's two weeks away, car seems ready to go. Hopefully the ol'e body will be ready. I'm wound up for the auto-X & still hope to make the drags at GLDW that Saturday evening? Had the car out today & made a power brake (2000 RPM) start full on until the trans shifted at it's usual 6500 RPM, seems Ready! Wiped it down & took a mess of photos as I plan to post it for sale again. August 1st will be 37 years since I took delivery. So look for my for sale post around that time. Buy a lotto ticket, you'll need to get this thing away from me. Of course I'll put the price at my usual $.50 on the dollar so to keep everyone away! I haven't done the math for 2 years, so I'm guess'in I've got around $48,000.00 (37 yrs of automobile & parts still assembled into ONE machine) worth of car now. The new exhaust was expensive, we'll see how well it preforms at Car Craft Nat's. And of course I have the new shorter MT SS drag radials now. They seem to be the perfect compromise for a 15 inch wheel. I'll know when I get the auto-X time slip. I've heard rumblings that the drags will only be 1/8 mile?? And that would rune my day. Hope to see some of you guys at the Nat's. Take care, Bob Jr.

Attachments

• 14-05-41.JPG
    14-05-41.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 383

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings Guys; Just a reminder to take a quick look at my for sale post, Classified parts. Much of that stuff I'll except any offer & if you're doing Car Craft Nat's, you have no shipping costs. Some of the stuff is new & some near junk? Hope to see some of you their next week-end, Ol'e Bob.

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings Guys; Haven't posted much lately. Dealing with Pa's passing has & is an over whelming task. Plus my ol'e body isn't treating me very well. I did a write up for a for sale post, I'm going to try to post it (may be too big) here. And I ask you to put your $.03 cents in, all comments are welcome. Is it too long, too short whatever? Ol'e Bob

1979 Malibu 9C1 (police car, think of it as a SS car without badges). I ordered it in March & took delivery August 1st 1979. Extremely rare 2 door with original paint in good condition. I dropped it off at Ziebart on the way home from the dealership. It’s rust free to this day as it seen very little winter driving, and even less salt.

I’ll start with what you can see. OE bumpers go with the car & are in very nice condition including end caps. The fiberglass bumper covers lighten the car by 50 lbs or more. Behind them is a ¼” x 3” x 4” Aluminum angle tying the OE bumper shocks together, front & rear. Two Cibie grill lights, one fog switched with the parking lights. The other a 5000’ pencil beam switched with the Hi beam headlights. OE front 9C1 anti sway bar 1-1/4” diameter with Energy Suspension Mounts & other 9C1 bracing. Upper & lower front “A” arms are Global West with 79 Camaro spindles, 11” Power slot rotors & Wilwood GM III aluminum calipers. The Power brake booster was reconditioned in 2009 as was the Master cylinder. Witch was in perfect condition as I have used 5 dot silicone fluid in the system since 1980. I have replaced the rear wheel cylinders & rebuilt the Willwood calipers recently. Rear drums are aluminum off another “G” car & are in nice condition. The rear lower control arms are Global West, the uppers are OE with poly graphite bushings. Rear is the 7/8” OE 9C1 anti sway bar & bracing. Shocks are KYB, springs Eibach & the OE 9C1 springs (stiffer I might add) are included. The hood is a Harwood glass hinged unit w/ light weight supports in the OE hinge position for when you want it open (NO prop rod). Original hood is included in very nice condition, with paint still on the corners.

Interior, redone in 2009, headliner of course & getting to be that time again. Seats Recaro covered in butter soft leather w/matching stich pattern to OE back seat, perfect condition. Carpet replaced & all the plastic “A, B & C pillars and door panels were covered in vinyl. Cut, stitched & glued in place. Note 120 MPH 9C1 speedo & Hurst shifter. Mono steering wheel does Not go with the car, OE unit with new black leather cover will be turn’in the wheels. Sun tach & Auto meter gages keep track of what’s going on.

Now the good stuff, a Hayden engine oil cooler thermostatically controlled w/AN fittings & braided Stainless lines. B & M transmission cooler w/AN fittings & braided stainless lines back to OE steel. Seven blade clutch (2 yrs old Flex-O-Lite) fan. Bullitt Specialties crank (30% under driven) & water pump pulleys. 100 amp alternator w/polished case. Power steering pump & steering box rebuilt by Tommy Lee to exacting standards w/ braided stainless lines 2014. It steers so tight you might think that it has rack & pinion steering. You have to experience it to believe it. Edelbrock aluminum water pump w/new bearings & seals 2013. All the fasteners in & most on the engine are ARP, even the oil pump bolt. The block is the only Chevy part on this engine. Oil pan, pick up & custom pump by Champ pans. Champ supplied pans for Lingenfelter SB Chevy’s during the 90’s. Main caps are Eagle tool steel splayed w/ARP two bolts & two studs per cap. Of course aligned bored & honed to exacting standards. Rods are Eagle 5.7” H beam & bushed for floating pins. The pins are Diamond shortened (light weight) taper wall tool steel. Main, rod & cam bearings are Sealed Power Duroshield Competition series. The pistons are JE lightweight flat top custom units made for the shortened pins, with Speed Pro plasma moly rings yielding a compression of 10.2:1. Cam is Comp roller 230* 236* @.050” .560” .573” lift. The lifters are Comp Endure-X w/ small pressure feed oil hole to the rollers & the push rods are Smith Brothers. Rockers are Comp Ultra Pro Magnum’s as are the light weight tool steel retainers & dual valve springs matched to the cam. The ignition is MSD Pro-Billet w/ a 6A box. Topped off with Air Flow Research heads & a Edelbrock Air-Gap intake. And one custom 780 CFM Holley type carb, made from Holley, Pro Form & Quick fuel parts.

Torque converter is a 2100 RPM stall w/ roller thrust bearing, nothing outrageous. It’s the trans that has custom stuff done to it. Built to shift modestly firm with light throttle @13 & 23 MPH. Put your foot into it at anything under 40 MPH & leave your foot planted never touching the shifter. And it will down shift to first gear & pull to 6500 RPM in both first & second gear. Oh did I mention the tires tend to spin during this procedure! I purchased the Colman aluminum drive shaft back in the day when they rated them differently & at the time it was rated at 600 HP capacity? I replace the differential with the Buick 8.5 unit reinforcing the case & mounting points with additional gussets. Carrier is a Auburn HP unit w/ the OE 3.43 gear set and fresh bearings back in 2013. Also included is a Precision 3.08 gear set that I used from 1998 until 2013.

Exhaust system; Hooker mid length headers, ceramic coated. And new this year from the header flange to the tail pipe tip 304L stainless tubes & hangers even the bolts are stainless. A section is removable from the header flange to a V band clamp just in front of the cross member. The remaining sides are rigidly mounted to the cross member, behind the Borla 304 SS mufflers & by the tail pipe tips.

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings Guys; Well the wife must of been right, it's too long? Anyway I'm making little progress in posting it for sale & who knows when I'll get the energy, inclination & enthusiasm to actually post it for sale. I keep driving it & every time I do the urge to sell diminishes! But like any ol'e automobile it always needs up dating & maintenance. And my ol'e body & pocket book just can't keep up, so sooner or later someone will step up to the plate & buy (steal) it. Maybe by word of mouth, who can tell the future? So please pass the word among the car guys ya know that I'm look'in for that guy that has energy, enthusiasm & some money to take over owner ship of the Bronze Brick, Thank you all, Ol'e Bob.

Attachments

• IMG_0102.JPG
    IMG_0102.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 928
  • IMG_0093.JPG
    IMG_0093.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 413
  • IMG_0096.JPG
    IMG_0096.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 440
  • IMG_0107.JPG
    IMG_0107.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 423

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
What am I looking at here for the rear end an 8.5 with flat stock covering the axles?
img_0102-jpg.53774

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings 565 Bb & all; Ya got a good eye, yes an 8.5" (described in previous post, too long, I know) with additional gussets. Welded to lower mount, tube & center housing. I know not the most aero but lots stronger. The welder skip welded, one small weld per side back & forth until all was skip welded. Eliminating any chance of distorting the housing from heat. We did that back in 1998 & it seemed to work out well as I've been to the drag strip nine or ten times for, 27 to 30 passes, Auto X 3 times for 10 runs & the road course for only 5 laps. Thanks for ask'in Ol'e Bob.
Ps: Another picture, with old (with kinks) exhaust system (for sale).
Pss: I thought ya all might like a picture of the steering stuff also.

Attachments

• IMG_0050.JPG
    IMG_0050.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 290
  • IMG_0372.JPG
    IMG_0372.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 328
  • IMG_0369.JPG
    IMG_0369.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 342

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I figured it was some sort of bracing welded on, I also initially stitch welded the brace on my 9" and went back later after it fully cooled and finished welded it, I did it that way to make sure I didn't distort the axle tubes.
I have welded on some brace kits for other people with GM rears using a special rear cover and adjustable tubes going to the end of the axles.

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings Guys; One of the members was asking about bumpers & I mentioned my fiberglass covers. Well I was going to refer him back to this thread so he could see pictures. Well after looking at all 8 pages I couldn't find any. So better late than never. If ya look close ya can see that the body line doesn't match out of the box, I had them re contoured (re-glassed) & re painted the following year, glad I used wax paper! The body line in much better now & the paint matches the right mirror perfectly. As the mirror is what I sent to the paint mixer. But the main idea I'm trying to show is the aluminum 1/4" wall angle 3"x 4" that I tired the OE bumper shocks back together with. Then I covered the angle with wax paper & root beer cartons. Filled the space behind the fiberglass covers with spray foam to give the covers some rigidity. And now I can take the covers off & the foam doesn't stick to the aluminum angle. Plus I still have some(?) protection against deep structural damage. Ol'e Bob.
Ps: Sorry about the poor #3 picture, the camera doesn't use film, technology what can I say?

Attachments

• 14-04-01_Bumper.JPG
    14-04-01_Bumper.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 349
  • 14-04-03_Bumper.JPG
    14-04-03_Bumper.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 334
  • 14-04-11_Grill.JPG
    14-04-11_Grill.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 330
  • 14-04-20_Grill.JPG
    14-04-20_Grill.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 317
  • 14-04-28_Grill.JPG
    14-04-28_Grill.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 319
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor