The Cheap Route: Putting a 7.625 in a 7.5 housing

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
Final rebuild recap. A USA Gear rebuild kit, sustitute Timken carrier bearings, 3.42:1 ring and pinion, 7.625 ring gear, 28 spline Moser axles, ARP cap studs and modified housing ends to standard GM 4 bolt.
Install will be soon.

Reactions: 1 users

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
The rear is in and I'm learning to not panic with every small clunk, tire chirp and clicking noise I now here. Auburn says it's normal.:unsure:
Worse case scenario, I put the spider gears back in and wait to build the 8.5. Yet so far the gears are smooth as can be and my first gear makes the 3:42 feel like 3:73s. 60mph is now at 2700rpm. It was at 1900rpm.
Soon, I'm gonna crack open the old rear to confirm the ratio before I scrap it. (just for peace of mind.)
T
DSC_1158a.jpg
DSC_1161.JPG
DSC_1162.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
Oh Yeah, almost forgot. I can't wipe the smile off my face from even normal take offs. I am driving gently until about 150 miles before I do any kind of power launch.
T

Reactions: 1 user

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
Update. I had to change out my yoke because one of the strap bolts snapped off while I was changing the clutch hydraulic systems.
I cleaned up the one from the 7.5 and flipped them with little oil loss. Just drove it yesterday for 40 miles on the highway and then checked to see how much heat the housing generated. It was just warm to the touch, which is a good sign the oil is doing it's job of cooling and lubricating.
The mini locker is working well. Every now and then on loose gravel during turns it chirps. Like when I pull out of a parking lot onto a main street. I always look around for cops when that happens. Lol
T

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor