The daily driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Csilvy2000

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2012
Texarkana, AR
Here's my driver. I've had it about 6 years. Has never let me down and has been a low budget build from day one. Almost everything I've done to the car involved refurbished used parts. The two things I purchased new are a windshield and my cheap stereo. I enjoy driving it and there is no monthly payment.

Two questions: What color should I paint it (makes no difference to me)?
What stands out under the hood?

Reactions: 1 user

Csilvy2000

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2012
Texarkana, AR
Pics

Attachments

• IMG_1197.JPG
    IMG_1197.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 245
  • IMG_1198.JPG
    IMG_1198.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 235
  • IMG_1199.JPG
    IMG_1199.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 221
  • IMG_1200.JPG
    IMG_1200.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 196
  • IMG_1201.JPG
    IMG_1201.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 223

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Well, I can't see anything pointing directly to a big block, so nothing stands out except for the A/C lines going no where from the heaterbox. But, glad to see Oldspower as always!!!!(y)

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Pedrolif

Greasemonkey
Mar 28, 2016
New Hampshire
The blue stands out, but not a bad thing. And is that a relay for an electric fan? Extra horsepower gained, but my control unit died within 6 months, so keep an eye on it if it was a cheap one. And after flemming442 pointed it out, yeah... AC hoses. But at least they're not cut, so you could always put AC back into the car if you felt like it.
As for color... touch up the primer gray and hit it with a matte clear coat until you find a color you love. Primer is not a sealer, it will still rust. I'm a fan of earthy colors. Browns, greens, black. Dark green with lots of flake and almost looks black, with ghost flames....
Maybe a nice Dark Blue Pearl?

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
The surface rust on some underhood bits stand out the most to me. Color is subjective. I personally would make a W30 clone, but then some other guy would hate your face for doing so. Black is always a good choice, but tough to get right especially if the body isn't laser straight.

Csilvy2000

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2012
Texarkana, AR
I wasn't looking for a certain 'under the hood' answer. Just asking for ways to make it look better. Thanks for the input. It'll end up being white with a dark blue pinstripe on the bodylines. Anyone ever tried any freehanded pinstripping?

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I wasn't looking for a certain 'under the hood' answer. Just asking for ways to make it look better.
Well, if that's the case, here are my suggestions: lose the red dist cap and plug boots, get some nice looms (Made For You Products), trim the air cleaner stud, prep and paint anything rusty, fix the trans cooler line routing, split loom and friction tape the ends on the wiring...
That should keep you busy for a while! :banana:

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Some paint considerations:

How much more bodywork/changes do you anticipate?

Single stage urethane is easier to match and blend with less noticeable color difference over time than base/clear. (If adding spoiler, changing hood type, things like that...)

Lighter colors hide body work flaws.

Metallic paints, again, noticeable when you do repaint work, AND, are more likely to show sanding marks through the paint.

The more layers down on a car the easier it chips.

Paint is nice underhood, but nothing beats a good powdercoat if you have spare brackets to send out (since it's your DD.)

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor