The Exotic Plymouth Volare? The Monteverdi Sierra!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
When a Swiss designer wanted to build a luxury car in the 70's but lacked the funds, he built this: The Monteverdi Sierra. it's an Aspen/Volare with a facelift and a new interior. Power was from the ultra-exotic Chrysler 318 V8.

montesierra1.jpg
montesierrastat.jpg

Read a little about it here, along with more pics.
http://www.madle.org/emontemus.htm

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
that wagon is BA i'd rock it

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
The Monteverdi is MUCH better looking than a Volare, especially the front end. That being said, my all time favorite European wagon is the Mercedes Benz 300TD built off the W123 chassis. I have a thing for W123 Benzes ( Maybe it's memories of a childhood neighbor who owned a Benz dealership and always had one), especially the turbo diesels and wagons. The engines were indestructible, and so was the seat upholstery. The only way to make them more perfect to me is to use the 5 speed manual trans off a European taxi model with the 4.11 rear end out of a US market 240D. Here's the car I mean in my favorite color for these things: yellow-beige.
DSC_2079.jpg

It's also interesting to note that more W123's have hit one million miles than any other car ever made. Writing this almost makes me want to cruise Craigslist to see if I can find one to add to my fleet. It would be the perfect highway cruiser!

buickestate

Greasemonkey
Nov 21, 2006
London Ontario
Ah yes the Montiverdi aspen/volare, I remember seeing them back in the day. They looked better in person, even parked next to a volare the differances were enough that the average person couldn't tell they had originally left the same assembly line. I like the Montiverdi international scout conversions. They were nice in an odd interesting/custom look but not enough to take away my affection for the Malibu coupes, hence why I own a Swiss spected Malibu coupe and not a monteverdi volare.

The 318 becomes exotic since in switzerland you pay green road taxes based on the ci displacement of your vehicle yearly.

83hurst-olds

G-Body Guru
Oct 19, 2010
near Oklahoma City, OK
My dad LOVED the Aspen and Valare's, particularly the ones with the slant 6 motor. He had a very high-mileage job at the time and they seemed to last forever.
I had never heard of these. Still ugly cars (to me), but it was an improvement...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor