BUICK The Final Objective (Mission Accomplished, 7/23)

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
Without knowing what measuring tools your using, I'd get a second opinion. Haul the block with main caps and bearings installed/torques, rods and pistons with rod bearings installed and the crank to a machinist or trusted engine builder to re-measure. The worst thing that can come of this is a crank polish/minor cut. More crank work is what I was leaning towards, but I would also like to get a better dial bore gauge and see if maybe I can fine some different bearings. When measuring everything apart, mathematically I have a .002" difference. So split in half I would have .001". But when I put it together that space isn't there. Gotta finish measuring the rest first, then I'll seek the solution I guess.

I would NOT put it together too tight. And being tight is better than being loose - easy fix. Agreed.

Have you tried checking the bearings with some plastigage to confirm you micronometer readings? I have some but haven't used it yet.

How did the orginal bearings look? Maybe incorrectly marked bearings? Were the rods resized, I assume? I know Buick 350 like tight clearances but that sounds really tight. The rods were reconditioned to true-up the bores. So modifications were made there. All of the old bearings were marked ".010" and the crank journals measure 1.990 and 2.990 respectively. Yes, it is far too tight.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I use plastigage to confirm what the machine shop has measured. I’ve had to haul everything back once - it was pita, but worth it.

Reactions: 1 user

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
Logging in to post that the car runs and drives now. Got it started in July and am still breaking things in. I have more pictures and video than I can shake a stick at, but no time to shake a stick at either. Thus far, thumbs up on the TKX trans, and good review thus far for Johnson lifters. The new build is starting to hit its stride and I'm at a weird point where I'm both really enjoying what I've accomplished, and also feeling like there are no big plans left aside from keeping what I have alive and well. Lots of rust repair in the future... It's been a long and expensive 9 months of research, worry, long days, and frustration. But I'm as happy as a 6 year old me in a Pizza Hut at a "Cruis'n USA" machine.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
hot damn

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Awesome! I am really want to go the TKX route on my 70 Cutlass S.

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Logging in to post that the car runs and drives now. Got it started in July and am still breaking things in. I have more pictures and video than I can shake a stick at, but no time to shake a stick at either. Thus far, thumbs up on the TKX trans, and good review thus far for Johnson lifters. The new build is starting to hit its stride and I'm at a weird point where I'm both really enjoying what I've accomplished, and also feeling like there are no big plans left aside from keeping what I have alive and well. Lots of rust repair in the future... It's been a long and expensive 9 months of research, worry, long days, and frustration. But I'm as happy as a 6 year old me in a Pizza Hut at a "Cruis'n USA" machine.
Congrats, very glad to hear

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor